Podcasts sur l'histoire

Qu'est-il arrivé au Collège universitaire de San Francisco?

Qu'est-il arrivé au Collège universitaire de San Francisco?


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

En 1859, le révérend George Burrowes fonda l'University College de San Francisco. De manière confuse, il était également connu sous le nom de City College. Burrowes a annoncé l'école dans le journal Daily Alta California.

Opérant d'abord près du centre-ville, en 1862, il avait également obtenu des terres plus au sud dans un nouvel emplacement appelé University Mound. Le quartier était organisé autour du collège, avec des rues dans un sens toutes nommées d'après des écoles célèbres (Dartmouth, Göttingen, Colby) et dans l'autre sens après des éducateurs, en particulier des présidents d'université (Timothy Dwight, Benjamin Silliman, Francis Wayland). Une carte de 1863 montre un "University College Grounds":

En 1864, il y eut un "décret pris en faveur du demandeur" en Le président et le conseil d'administration de l'University College c. Les administrateurs du City College de San Francisco. (En 1935, la ville a créé un Junior College sur un autre site qui est devenu le City College moderne de San Francisco.)

En 1872, la faculté de médecine de l'University College a formé une coentreprise avec l'Université du Pacifique, appelée The Medical College of the Pacific.

Au milieu des années 1880, le Collège semble avoir disparu. En 1884, le domaine de James Lick a acheté 25 acres, y compris un « bâtiment universitaire » pour construire le Lick Old Ladies Home, et en 1885, un réservoir a été construit. Mon amie Elisa a déterré cette carte :

Quand University College a-t-il abandonné le campus University Mound? L'université a-t-elle cessé ses activités ou fusionné avec une autre école ?


J'ai réussi à trouver des copies en ligne du Journal de San Francisco de George Burrowes, 1858-1875 (Edité par Charles A. Anderson, et avec une notice biographique de Clifford M. Drury), qui pourrait maintenant fournir une réponse plus ou moins définitive à votre question. Celui-ci a été publié en trois parties dans le Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society et peut être lu sur JSTOR :

1er versement :

  • Journal de San Francisco de George Burrowes, 1858-1875, CHARLES A. ANDERSON et Clifford M. Drury, Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society (1943-1961), Vol. 33, n° 2 (juin 1955), pp. 93-119

2ème tranche :

Journal de San Francisco de George Burrowes, 1858-1875, CHARLES A. ANDERSON et Clifford M. Drury, Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society (1943-1961), Vol. 33, n° 3 (septembre 1955), pp. 157-180

3ème tranche :

Journal de San Francisco de George Burrowes, 1858-1875, CHARLES A. ANDERSON et Clifford M. Drury, Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society (1943-1961), Vol. 33, n° 4 (décembre 1955), pp. 257-278

Sauf mention contraire, les citations sont tirées de la revue ou de la notice biographique associée.


Fond

Je devrais peut-être d'abord souligner la mise en garde faite par le professeur Drury dans sa notice biographique :

Il ne fait aucun doute que le Dr Burrowes a écrit ces souvenirs en pensant à l'avenir. Il était le dernier des participants aux scènes décrites à décéder.

  • 2e versement, p157

Fondation du Collège

La force motrice derrière la création du City College semble avoir été le Dr W.A. Scott qui avait fait pression sur le Board of Education pour :

commissionner une personne qualifiée pour ouvrir une école presbytérienne en Californie dans l'espoir qu'une telle école serait le début d'un collège.

  • Idem, p159

Le 6 octobre 1859, le Synode du Pacifique :

a adopté certaines résolutions proposées par le Dr Scott qui appelaient le Synode à établir un Conseil des Régents pour sécuriser un site, ériger un bâtiment et prendre toutes les autres mesures qui pourraient être nécessaires pour gérer une école avec le Dr Burrowes comme directeur.

  • Idem, p160

L'école a été fondée en 1859, mais comme l'indique l'article,

La forte sympathie du Dr Scott pour le Sud l'obligea finalement à quitter San Francisco au début de l'automne 1861.

  • Idem

(il avait été pendu en effigie le dimanche 22 septembre 1861 !), et cela semble avoir marqué le début d'une rupture avec le Synode du Pacifique qui culmina avec la charte de 1863, et le changement de nom de l'école en Collège universitaire, San Francisco (bien qu'il ne s'agisse en aucun cas d'une "université" au sens moderne du terme).

Bien que le « nouveau » collège ait un conseil d'administration indépendant, le précédent conseil d'administration avait

a tenté de sauvegarder la connexion presbytérienne au collège en écrivant dans la charte l'exigence qu'au moins les deux tiers des administrateurs doivent être membres de l'Église presbytérienne. Cependant, aucun article de la charte ne pouvait empêcher l'inclusion d'hommes comme administrateurs qui n'avaient aucune compréhension de ce qu'un collège était censé être.

  • Idem, p162

En effet, il semble que des éléments au sein du Synode continueraient à désigner le collège comme le Collège municipal presbytérien, bien que je n'aie pu trouver aucune référence au collège de ce nom dans d'autres sources (même le journal du Dr Burrowes).

Le Dr William Alexander, qui fut employé comme directeur du City College de 1871 à 1875, écrira rétrospectivement pour défendre le synode :

"L'échec n'était pas dû aux ministres, mais à beaucoup de laïcs qui n'avaient jamais été à l'université et ne savaient pas ce qu'est une université, et pourtant étaient trop suffisants" pour prendre conseil auprès de ceux qui savaient. Et bien qu'ils fussent des hommes riches et de haut rang dans la ville, ils n'étaient pas libéraux."

  • Idem

Expansion

Le collège a grandi et s'est agrandi pour inclure plusieurs sites ou campus. Ceux-ci comprenaient le nouveau bâtiment à University Mound (qui serait détruit dans un incendie en 1875), le site de la rue Halght et les bureaux au coin des rues Stockton et Geary, mentionnés dans leurs publicités). Cependant, les tensions entre le Dr Burrowes et le conseil d'administration ont augmenté et ont culminé avec sa démission pour raisons de santé en juin 1865, lorsque lui et sa femme sont retournés à New York.

Burrowes retourna à San Francisco en 1869 et accepta le poste de président de l'University Mound College (cela ne semble pas avoir été un collège séparé, mais plutôt un département ou un campus de l'University College, San Francisco) en janvier 1870. Il démissionner de ce poste en 1872.

En 1872, University College a également fondé La faculté de médecine du Pacifique en joint-venture avec l'Université du Pacifique.

Il y a un article décrivant l'histoire (brève) et la situation actuelle du collège dans le Pacific Rural Press, Volume 5, Numéro 5, 1er février 1873. Cet article comprend une photo du collège tel qu'il était alors :

Il vaut peut-être la peine de noter qu'en 1873, le Collège des affaires du Pacifique (la "plus ancienne et la meilleure école de commerce de la côte") faisait également partie de l'University College de San Francisco.


Le bâtiment University Mound a été détruit par un incendie le 5 avril 1875 (Daily Alta California, Volume 27, Number 9134, 6 April 1875). Burrowes rapporte dans son journal que, peu de temps avant cet événement, sa bibliothèque (qu'il avait donnée au nouveau Séminaire théologique) avait été :

transféré dans les salles de ce séminaire du City College, au coin des rues Stockton et Geary.

  • Journal, 3e fascicule, p277

Cela montre que le séminaire louait des chambres au City College en 1875.

Le bâtiment du collège à University Mound serait par la suite reconstruit à la suite de l'incendie.


Séminaire théologique de San Francisco

Le Dr W. A. ​​Scott était retourné en Californie en janvier 1870. Lui et le Dr William Alexander menèrent une campagne pour établir le San Francisco Theological Seminary en 1871, et le Synode avait accepté leur plan en octobre de la même année.

Burrowes est enregistré comme le chef (non rémunéré) de la langue et de la littérature hébraïques au séminaire à partir du 4 décembre 1871. Il restera dans ce rôle jusqu'en 1890, date à laquelle il devient professeur émérite et prend sa retraite. Il semble probable que sa démission de son poste de président de l'University Mound College n'était pas sans rapport avec son acceptation de ce nouveau rôle.

J'ai trouvé un avis sous Notes immobilières dans le Daily Alta California, Volume 29, Numéro 9887, 3 mai 1877, enregistrant le transfert du titre de l'University College au San Francisco Theological Seminary d'un lot situé du côté sud de la rue Halght pour la somme de 12 000 $.

Ce site serait la maison du séminaire jusqu'à ce qu'il déménage sur son campus actuel à San Anselmo en 1892.


Fermeture du Collège

La notice biographique du professeur Drury indique que :

City College a subi la forclusion et n'existait plus en 1881.

  • 2e versement, p164

La date précise peut être remise en question par un article de 1883 dans le Pacific Rural Press Pacific Rural Press, Volume 25, Numéro 22, 2 juin 1883, qui donne l'adresse du collège au 119, Haight Street, San Francisco, et suggère plutôt que le collège existait encore à cette date.

Cependant, les preuves suggèrent que le collège a souffert de problèmes financiers (peut-être en raison d'une mauvaise gestion financière, bien que Burrowes semble impliquer que cela était dû à la colère divine résultant du traitement que le collège lui avait réservé lorsqu'il était en charge), et a subi forclusion à un moment donné au début des années 1880.

Le professeur Drury poursuit en disant que le professeur Gamble, alors président de l'University Mound College :

déplacé University Mound School à Lyton Spring où un effort a été fait pour organiser un collège presbytérien, mais cela a échoué.

  • Idem

Comme vous l'avez déjà noté, les fiduciaires de la maison des vieilles dames, à qui feu James Lick avait laissé 100 000 $) négociaient pour la propriété au début de 1884 (un fait noté dans le La ville section du Daily Alta California, Volume 36, Numéro 12455, 23 mai 1884).

Cela, ainsi que l'article de journal cité ci-dessus, suggèrent que la forclusion a probablement eu lieu vers 1883/1884.


Nous ne pouvons pas être certains de ce qui est arrivé à tous les actifs de l'University College de San Francisco après le verrouillage. Cependant, en 1888, le Pacific Rural Press a publié une nécrologie de James E. Wilson qui comprenait les informations suivantes

Par la suite, M. Wilson a enseigné dans les écoles de la Nouvelle-Angleterre pendant près de deux ans. En avril 1867, il est venu en Californie, depuis quelle période, jusqu'à très récemment, il s'est activement engagé dans la profession d'enseignant. Sa première expérience en tant qu'enseignant dans cet État fut à la McClure Military Academy, à Oakland. Par la suite, il a été associé pendant deux ans à la faculté du City College, un établissement d'enseignement qui a depuis fusionné avec l'Université du Pacifique..

  • Pacific Rural Press, Volume 36, Numéro 3, 21 juillet 1888 (c'est moi qui souligne)

Cela suggère qu'au moins certaines parties de l'University College / City College de San Francisco ont été fusionnées avec (ou, plus probablement, reprises par) l'Université du Pacifique (qui est devenue le Collège du Pacifique en 1911, et s'est rebaptisée l'Université du Pacifique en 1961).

Les candidats évidents pour les parties qui ont été « fusionnées » comprennent la faculté de médecine, La faculté de médecine du Pacifique, (qui, comme vous l'avez mentionné dans la question, a en fait été fondée en tant qu'entreprise commune avec l'Université du Pacifique, et le Collège des affaires du Pacifique.


Question:
Qu'est-il arrivé au Collège universitaire de San Francisco? En 1859, le révérend George Burrowes fonda l'University College de San Francisco. De manière confuse, il était également connu sous le nom Collège de la ville.

Réponse courte:

Le révérend George Burrowes est crédité d'être l'un des fondateurs de la Séminaire théologique de San Francisco (presbytérien)(SFTS) ou City College ou Presbyterian City College.

Mes recherches n'ont pas porté sur le nom "University College", mais la coupure de journal d'époque dans la question initiale assimile le City College et le University College, donc je vais prendre cela pour acquis.

J'ai trouvé l'association SFTS grâce à sa pierre tombale donnée ci-dessous, puis j'ai pu corroborer que la SFTS utilisait à l'origine les noms City College ou Presbyterian City College.

C'est finalement votre réponse.

En 1890, le City College de San Francisco a déménagé sur un site de 14 acres au sommet d'une colline à San Anselmo, et a changé son nom en San Francisco Theological Seminary (SFTS) où il reste à ce jour.

Séminaire théologique de San Francisco
105 chemin du Séminaire
San Anselme, Californie 94960
415-451-2800


Des détails:

J'ai commencé par chercher la tombe du révérend George Burrowes pour voir ce que cela me dirait et j'ai trouvé ceci.

George Burrowes, D.D. 3 avril 1811 - 19 avril 1894 (83 ans)

Un troisième nom à garder en mémoire comme celui de l'un des fondateurs de la Séminaire théologique de San Francisco est le nom du révérend Dr George Burrowes. Il a commencé ses services en tant que professeur de langue et littérature hébraïques avec le premier trimestre du séminaire, et pendant près d'un quart de siècle, il a continué ses remarquables exposés de l'Écriture et dans la manifestation d'une belle vie chrétienne.

Ensuite, j'ai cherché le Séminaire théologique de San Francisco et j'ai trouvé ceci

En 1871, SFTS (San Francisco Theological Seminary.) a commencé avec quatre professeurs et quatre étudiants réunis pour l'enseignement au Collège municipal presbytérien situé dans ce qui est maintenant Union Square. Six ans plus tard, le séminaire a déménagé dans son propre bâtiment à côté du bâtiment du City College sur Haight Street.

Ensuite, j'ai commencé à faire des recherches sur l'histoire du SFTS et j'ai trouvé une citation qui assimile le SFTS au Presbyterian City College.

Séminaire théologique de San Francisco
Le Séminaire a été fondé en 1871 à San Francisco comme Collège municipal presbytérien.

En 1890, le SFTS a déménagé sur un site de 14 acres au sommet d'une colline à San Anselmo, où il est encore aujourd'hui.


d'ailleurs… James Lick qui a ouvert la maison de cette vieille dame était aussi assez intéressant à lire.

James lèche
(25 août 1796 - 1er octobre 1876) Au moment de sa mort, il était l'homme le plus riche de Californie et laissa la majorité de ses biens à des causes sociales et scientifiques.


Histoire de l'UCSF

L'Université de Californie à San Francisco (UCSF), l'une des principales universités des sciences de la santé au monde, date sa fondation de 1864, lorsque le chirurgien de Caroline du Sud Hugh Toland a fondé une école de médecine privée à San Francisco.

Toland était venu dans l'ouest en 1849 pour chercher fortune dans la ruée vers l'or en Californie, mais après quelques mois décourageants en tant que mineur, il a ouvert un cabinet de chirurgie dans la ville en plein essor de San Francisco. Au fur et à mesure que sa richesse et son influence grandissaient, il acheta un terrain à North Beach et ouvrit le Toland Medical College.

Les collèges affiliés, initialement situés sur divers sites à San Francisco, ont été réunis sur un site surplombant le Golden Gate Park, connu aujourd'hui sous le nom de Parnassus Heights.

Le collège prospéra et Toland chercha à s'affilier à l'Université de Californie, qui avait ouvert son campus à Berkeley en 1868. Le président de l'UC, Daniel Coit Gilman, qui soutenait fortement l'enseignement des sciences, créa un précédent pour la jeune université en s'affiliant en 1873 aux deux Toland Medical College et California College of Pharmacy. Huit ans plus tard, les UC Regents ont ajouté un collège dentaire.

Les trois collèges affiliés - également appelés départements UC - étaient situés sur divers sites à San Francisco, et après plusieurs années, il y avait un vif intérêt à les réunir. Le maire de San Francisco, Adolph Sutro, a fait don de 13 acres sur un site surplombant le Golden Gate Park - connu aujourd'hui sous le nom de Parnassus Heights - et les nouveaux bâtiments des collèges affiliés ont ouvert à l'automne 1898.

Création d'un centre médical universitaire

Lorsque le grand tremblement de terre de San Francisco a détruit une grande partie de San Francisco et des installations médicales de la ville en avril 1906, plus de 40 000 personnes se sont réfugiées et se sont fait soigner dans une ville de tentes du Golden Gate Park, où des hôpitaux extérieurs de fortune ont été installés. Les collèges affiliés, situés sur la colline au-dessus du campement dans ce qui était alors l'extrême ouest de la ville, se sont soudainement situés à proximité d'une population importante. La faculté s'est mobilisée pour soigner les blessés du tremblement de terre et de l'incendie qui a suivi.

Plus de 40 000 personnes se sont réfugiées et ont été soignées dans une ville de tentes du Golden Gate Park après le grand tremblement de terre de 1906 à San Francisco.

L'intérêt antérieur pour la création d'un hôpital universitaire UC sur le site du Parnasse a pris de l'ampleur en tant que responsabilité civique de fournir des soins dans une zone où ils étaient nécessaires. Ce type d'engagement envers le service communautaire avait été mis en place par un accord de 1873 conclu par les dirigeants des collèges affiliés avec la ville pour fournir des soins aux patients dans son hôpital de santé publique (plus tard appelé San Francisco General Hospital).

L'un des bâtiments des collèges affiliés à Parnassus Heights a été rénové en tant qu'établissement pour les patients hospitalisés, les patients ambulatoires et les services dentaires, et a ouvert ses portes en avril 1907 avec 75 lits.

Avec cette nouvelle installation est venu le besoin de recruter des infirmières et la possibilité de former des étudiants en soins infirmiers. En 1907, l'UC Training School for Nurses a été créée, ajoutant une quatrième école professionnelle aux collèges affiliés. Pour faire place à des services cliniques et à un enseignement élargis sur le Parnasse, les départements de sciences fondamentales du collège médical - pathologie, anatomie et physiologie - ont déménagé sur le campus de Berkeley.

En 1911, le dernier membre de la tribu amérindienne Yahi a commencé à vivre sur le campus du Parnasse. Il était affamé lorsqu'il est sorti de la nature sauvage d'Oroville, en Californie, attirant l'attention des anthropologues de l'UC qui l'ont amené à San Francisco. Ils l'ont nommé Ishi, pour « homme » dans la langue Yahi. Au cours des années suivantes, les médecins et les anthropologues de l'UC ont découvert la culture Yahi grâce à Ishi, et le week-end, des centaines de personnes ont afflué au musée d'anthropologie pour le voir démontrer la fabrication de flèches et d'autres compétences de vie. Il a continué à vivre sur le Parnasse jusqu'en 1916, quand il est mort de la tuberculose.


Université de Californie

Nos rédacteurs examineront ce que vous avez soumis et détermineront s'il faut réviser l'article.

Université de Californie, système d'universités publiques en Californie, aux États-Unis, avec des campus à Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara et Santa Cruz. L'université tire ses origines du Collège privé de Californie, fondé en 1855 à Oakland. En 1868, le collège a fusionné avec le Agricultural, Mining, and Mechanical Arts College (qui avait été créé en tant qu'école de concession de terres en 1866) pour former l'Université de Californie en 1873, l'université a déménagé à Berkeley. Au fil du temps, d'autres écoles sont devenues partie intégrante du système. Un conseil de régents de 26 membres régit le système, qui compte un effectif total d'environ 200 000.

Berkeley, le campus principal du système, compte environ 33 000 étudiants. Ses 14 écoles et collèges comprennent ceux d'optométrie, de santé publique, de protection sociale, de politique publique, de ressources naturelles, de journalisme et de conception environnementale et proposent quelque 300 programmes d'études. Une institution de recherche majeure, il exploite le Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, l'Energy Institute, l'International Computer Science Institute et le Space Sciences Laboratory. Le système exploite également (sous contrat fédéral) le Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory à proximité. Le campus abrite des musées d'art, d'entomologie, de zoologie, d'anthropologie et de paléontologie. Sa faculté a inclus de nombreux scientifiques éminents, tels que les lauréats du prix Nobel Luis W. Alvarez (physique) et Glenn T. Seaborg (chimie).

Le campus de Los Angeles (UCLA) a été fondé en 1919 en tant que branche sud de l'université et a acquis son titre actuel en 1927. Le plus grand campus du système, il accueille environ 35 000 étudiants au College of Letters and Science et dans 11 écoles professionnelles dans les domaines tels que la médecine, la dentisterie, les soins infirmiers, la santé publique, le droit, l'ingénierie et les sciences appliquées, l'École de théâtre, de cinéma et de télévision de renommée mondiale possède de vastes archives de films, d'actualités et de programmes télévisés. Des diplômes de premier cycle sont disponibles dans environ 120 disciplines, et des diplômes d'études supérieures et professionnels sont proposés dans 200 domaines. L'UCLA est également l'une des meilleures universités de recherche du pays, et ses plus de 140 instituts de recherche comprennent le Southern California Earthquake Center, le Marine Science Center, l'AIDS Institute et l'Institute of Transportation Studies. Les équipes sportives de l'université ont remporté plus de championnats de la National Collegiate Athletic Association que toute autre école du pays, en particulier sous la direction de l'entraîneur de basket-ball masculin John Wooden (1948-1975). Les athlètes notables de l'UCLA incluent Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (basketball), Arthur Ashe (tennis), Evelyn Ashford (piste) et Jackie Robinson (baseball).

Le campus de San Diego, situé à La Jolla, a été fondé en tant que station maritime et est devenu une partie de l'université en 1912. Ses 10 écoles et divisions accueillent quelque 25 000 étudiants dans des domaines tels que la médecine, la pharmacie, les relations internationales et les études du Pacifique. Les étudiants de premier cycle s'inscrivent dans l'un des six collèges résidentiels semi-autonomes. Parmi ses installations de recherche figurent la Scripps Institution of Oceanography et le San Diego Supercomputer Center.

Le campus de Davis, une ferme en 1908 puis faisant partie du Collège d'agriculture de l'université, est devenu un campus général en 1959. Il propose des diplômes de premier cycle et des cycles supérieurs et comprend des écoles professionnelles de droit, de médecine, de médecine vétérinaire et de gestion. L'inscription est d'environ 28 000.

Le campus de San Francisco, à l'origine le département médical de l'université (1873), est la plus petite des unités du système. En plus de la médecine, elle possède des écoles d'infirmières, de dentisterie et de pharmacie et exploite le centre médical universitaire ainsi que diverses cliniques médicales et organismes de recherche. Le San Francisco Art Institute et le Hastings College of the Law, tous deux affiliés à l'université, s'y trouvent également.

Le campus Riverside, à l'origine la Citrus Experiment Station (1907), est également devenu un campus général en 1959. Il compte environ 15 000 étudiants dans des programmes d'éducation, d'ingénierie, de gestion, de sciences naturelles et agricoles, et de sciences humaines, artistiques et sociales. Santa Barbara, fondée en tant que collège d'enseignants en 1891, est devenue une partie du système universitaire en 1944. Environ 20 000 étudiants sont inscrits dans des collèges de lettres et de sciences, d'études créatives et d'ingénierie et dans des écoles professionnelles d'éducation et de sciences et gestion de l'environnement.

Les campus de Santa Cruz et d'Irvine ont tous deux été fondés en 1965. Santa Cruz comprend plusieurs petits collèges résidentiels en tant qu'unités de l'institution mère. Avec environ 15 000 étudiants, il offre des diplômes en arts, sciences humaines, sciences sociales, sciences naturelles et ingénierie. C'est le siège de l'Observatoire Lick. Irvine a des programmes dans 12 unités académiques, y compris la médecine, l'ingénierie, l'information et l'informatique, et l'écologie sociale, il y a environ 24 000 étudiants. La construction du 10e campus du système, à Merced, a commencé en 2002 et a officiellement ouvert ses portes en 2005.


Au sommet de Lone Mountain, l'histoire du premier collège féminin de SF se perpétue

8 sur 27 La bibliothèque du Lone Mountain College, également connue sous le nom de San Francisco College for Women, serait épargnée par un glissement de terrain massif qui a éloigné des tonnes de la colline du collège, le 26 décembre 1935 Photo publiée le 27/12/1935, P. 1 La Chronique 1935 Afficher plus Afficher moins

9 sur 27 Page intérieure 27 décembre 1935 Article de chronique sur un énorme glissement de terrain qui manquerait de peu le San Francisco College for Women qui sera construit au sommet de Lone Mountain. La Chronique 1935 Afficher plus Afficher moins

10 sur 27 Le laboratoire de langues du Lone Mountain College, également connu sous le nom de San Francisco College for Women, 4 juin 1960 Photo publiée le 06/05/1960, P. 15 Bill Young / The Chronicle 1960 Afficher plus Afficher moins

11 sur 27 Joan Malcewicz est dans le programme de formation d'infirmière au Lone Mountain College, connu depuis des années sous le nom de San Francisco College for Women, 25 janvier 1951 Barney Peterson / The Chronicle 1951 Voir plus Voir moins

12 de 27 Art Frisch / La Chronique 1966 Voir plus Voir moins

13 sur 27 Un laboratoire d'isotopes radio mobile arrive sur le campus du Lone Mountain College, connu pendant des années sous le nom de San Francisco College for Women, le 2 février 1966 Art Frisch / The Chronicle 1966 Voir plus Voir moins

14 du 27 10 janvier 1966 Article de chronique sur l'arrivée d'un laboratoire mobile avec du matériel et des isotopes radioactifs pour enseigner la chimie et la physique nucléaires au San Francisco College for Women qui sera construit au sommet de Lone Mountain. La Chronique 1966 Afficher plus Afficher moins

15 sur 27 Mère Olga Rossi en charge du développement au Lone Mountain College, également connu sous le nom de San Francisco College for Women, 30 novembre 1961 Photo publiée le 04/12/1961, P. 63 Art Frisch / The Chronicle 1961 Voir plus Voir moins

16 du 27 30 septembre 1964 Article de chronique sur l'expansion prévue du San Francisco College for Women devant être construit au sommet de Lone Mountain. La Chronique 1964 Afficher plus Afficher moins

17 sur 27 Mary Cary Kelley, Mère Gertrude Patch, présidente du Collège) et Tracy Koon sur un bulldozer avant la première pelletée de terre d'une nouvelle bibliothèque au Lone Mountain College, connu depuis des années sous le nom de San Francisco College for Women, 11 novembre 1966 Frisch / The Chronicle 1966 Voir plus Voir moins

18 sur 27 Un nouveau clocher est mis en place au Lone Mountain College, également connu sous le nom de San Francisco College for Women, 5 décembre 1962 Photo publiée le 12/6/1962, P. 30 Barney Peterson / The Chronicle 1962 Afficher plus Afficher moins

19 de 27 La Chronique 1978 Voir plus Voir moins

20 sur 27 Une vue majestueuse du Lone Mountain College, également connu sous le nom de San Francisco College for Women, le jour où il a été annoncé que je fermerais après ce semestre, le 1er février 1978 Photo publiée le 02/02/1978, P. 1 John Histoire / La Chronique 1978 Voir plus Voir moins

21 sur 27 Le Lone Mountain College, connu depuis des années sous le nom de SanFrancisco College for Women, annonce sa fermeture, le 2 février 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Voir plus Voir moins

22 sur 27 Le Lone Mountain College, connu depuis des années sous le nom de SanFrancisco College for Women, annonce sa fermeture, le 2 février 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Voir plus Voir moins

23 sur 27 Le Lone Mountain College, connu depuis des années sous le nom de SanFrancisco College for Women, annonce sa fermeture, le 2 février 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Voir plus Voir moins

24 sur 27 Le Lone Mountain College, connu depuis des années sous le nom de SanFrancisco College for Women, annonce sa fermeture, le 2 février 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Voir plus Voir moins

25 sur 27 L'article du Chronicle du 28 avril 1978 rapportant que le campus du Lone Mountain College est acheté par l'Université de San Francisco (USF) The Chronicle 1978 Voir plus Voir moins

26 sur 27 Le Lone Mountain College, connu depuis des années sous le nom de SanFrancisco College for Women, annonce sa fermeture, le 2 février 1978 John Storey / The Chronicle 1978 Voir plus Voir moins

27 du 27 13 novembre 2013 Article de chronique sur Lone Mountain College. Cela faisait partie de la série Hills of San Francisco de John King. La Chronique 2013 Afficher plus Afficher moins

Le campus de l'Université de San Francisco à Lone Mountain possède une architecture époustouflante et des vues spectaculaires, mais au-delà de la beauté se trouve un point de repère historique important de San Francisco : le premier collège pour femmes de la ville.

Un récent voyage aux archives de The Chronicle à la recherche de photos pour une mission sans rapport a révélé une mine de photos fantastiques de la vie étudiante au San Francisco College for Women, qui est devenu plus tard le Lone Mountain College. Les photos couvraient la construction de l'école au début des années 1930, son expansion et les religieuses et les étudiants qui y ont vécu et étudié dans les années 1950, 60 et 70.

Le San Francisco College for Women a été créé par le couvent des Religieuses du Sacré-Cœur, qui a acheté 33 acres au sommet de Lone Mountain, où se dressait une croix géante depuis 1862. Le collège a été construit pour plusieurs centaines de femmes et comprenait un petit dortoir.

Vous aimez ce que vous lisez ? Abonnez-vous à la newsletter Chronicle Vault et recevez des histoires d'archives classiques dans votre boîte de réception deux fois par semaine.

Lisez des centaines d'histoires historiques, consultez des milliers de photos d'archives et triez les 154 ans de pages de couverture classiques de Chronicle sur SFChronicle.com/vault.

&ldquoÀ San Francisco, il y a eu un manque notable et lamentable d'opportunités pour l'enseignement supérieur des femmes, la Rt. Le révérend Monseigneur Joseph M. Gleason, professeur au couvent, a déclaré à The Chronicle. &ldquoIl n'y avait pas une seule institution à San Francisco où une femme pouvait recevoir un diplôme universitaire.&rdquo

Le collège offrait une éducation rigoureuse, y compris une exigence de langue étrangère qui était courante à l'époque. &ldquoAmerica&rsquos les nouvelles notions sur les normes académiques plus strictes rattrapent enfin les points de vue des religieuses qui enseignent à Lone Mountain,&rdquo James Benet a écrit dans un article de 1963 Chronicle. L'école testait également un nouveau laboratoire de langues &mdash &ldquoin que les élèves apprennent en écoutant et en parlant plutôt qu'en lisant et en écrivant.&rdquo

Certains des professeurs étaient les religieuses elles-mêmes et presque toutes avaient un doctorat. Lorsqu'un laboratoire mobile parrainé par l'Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies a garé sa camionnette de 16 tonnes d'équipement à Lone Mountain pendant une semaine en 1966, Mère Mary Janet Kubitschek &mdash qui avait un doctorat en chimie &mdash était ravie, et peut-être tentée. &ldquoSi seulement nous pouvions trouver un moyen de tout voler et de le garder ici !&rdquo, songea-t-elle à un journaliste de Chronicle.

Mais c'était exactement un campus radical que Benet notait "l'absence frappante d'arrangements de cheveux exotiques et de costumes bizarres parmi les étudiants" en 1963.

Au début des années 1960, le collège a connu une expansion, y compris l'ajout de quartiers résidentiels pour plus de 200 étudiants.

Puis, en 1969, l'école est devenue étudiante et a changé son nom pour Lone Mountain College. Cela n'a pas duré longtemps et est revenu aux femmes uniquement en 1977 et a changé son orientation éducative.

« Nous avons décidé de nous orienter vers un autre type d'éducation pour les femmes », en mettant l'accent sur les sciences naturelles et les mathématiques, a déclaré le président de l'université, Berndt Kolker. &ldquoNous avons assumé de nouveaux rôles pour les femmes, nécessitant un type d'éducation différent.&rdquo

Le changement, cependant, était suffisant. L'école a annoncé sa fermeture en février 1978 lors d'une vente à l'Université de San Francisco.


Qu'est-il arrivé au Collège universitaire de San Francisco? - Histoire

L'esprit de création de l'extraordinaire est bel et bien vivant à l'Université de la Silicon Valley. En fait, c'est dans notre ADN. C'est ainsi depuis 1888, lorsque le Dr Henry USV a ouvert les portes de l'Université de la Silicon Valley à San Francisco. Le Dr USV croyait que le meilleur moyen d'apprendre était de faire – un hymne que nous saluons toujours.

Né à Tolland, Connecticut, le 3 mars 1820, USV était à la fois un homme visionnaire et un héritage distingué. La famille USV descendait d'Alfred le Grand et de Charlemagne et a immigré en Amérique en 1635 depuis l'Angleterre. Le Dr USV chérissait son emblème et sa devise familiale, « Nec Sperno Nec Timeo », ce qui signifie « Je ne méprise ni ne crains ». Comme ses ancêtres comptaient parmi les pionniers de l'Amérique, la vie du Dr USV était aussi celle de pionnier et de service.

Henry D. USV a eu une enfance modeste. Il était nécessaire que les jeunes USV aillent travailler très tôt dans les filatures de coton de la Nouvelle-Angleterre. Après une journée de travail dans les moulins, il passe les heures du soir à lire, à écrire et à apprendre le calcul. Finalement, il est devenu enseignant, mais après un an, il a décidé d'entrer dans la profession dentaire. Upon completion of his training at the age of 26, Dr. USV began the practice of dentistry in Providence, Rhode Island.

In 1846, Dr. USV married Caroline E. Richards, daughter of Ruel Richards, a manufacturer in Providence. When gold was discovered in California, Dr. USV followed the pioneering urge he inherited from his ancestors. He left for California by sea and after 152 days aboard the clipper ship “Susan G. Owens” landed in San Francisco on October 12, 1849. Rather than enter the rugged and uncertain business of mining, he practiced dentistry and established a mercantile business in the mining region.

After several successful years of dental practice and real estate investments and buoyed by his ever-present strength of purpose, Dr. USV became one of San Francisco’s first millionaires. Dr. USV was a pioneer in his profession as well. In 1847, he designed the vacuum method of securing dental plates. In 1853, he performed the first dental operation in California using chloroform.

On March 19, 1887, Dr. and Mrs. USV executed a trust deed setting apart real property (valued at approximately one million dollars) to establish and endow University of Silicon Valley. It was, as far as is known, the first school of its kind west of the Mississippi River. The purpose of the College as a charitable trust is well expressed in the words of Dr. USV in his presentation address to the first Board of Trustees, which he and Mrs. USV had selected. It is remarkable that his reference to the immediate need for technical training is as true now as it was at that time. He spoke, in part, as follows:

“Educated working men and women are necessary to solve the great labor problems that will arise in the future. For the purpose of this education, there is room and need for technical schools in all quarters of our country. For the purpose, then, of providing boys and girls of the state a thorough training in mechanical arts and other industries, we have made the grant, as set forth in these papers, providing for the founding and maintaining of University of Silicon Valley.”

The school was opened in August 1888 as a high school with well-equipped departments of technical education for boys and business education for girls. The school operated in this capacity until June 30, 1930, when its status was changed to that of a technical college offering a college-level two-year programs in Engineering Technology, Safety Management and Architecture, granting Associate and Bachelor degrees.

The College has had six campuses during its history. The first building, occupied in 1888, was located in the Mission District in San Francisco, California. When the 1906 earthquake partially destroyed the campus, a new building was built across the street at 26th and Folsom Streets. It was occupied in 1917. In 1974, the College purchased and moved to a location at Stockton and California Streets and converted the interior to classrooms, laboratories, shops and other facilities, including a 200-seat auditorium. The building's original exterior features were preserved. The building was named a San Francisco city landmark in 1984 and placed on the list of Architecturally Significant Structures. In 1985 University of Silicon Valley again relocated, this time to Bubb St. in Cupertino - a city within the Silicon Valley. The previous building became the Ritz Carlton San Francisco. In 1994, the College moved to Bordeaux Drive in Sunnyvale, CA where it remained until 2015 when it moved to its current location in North San Jose.


City College of S.F. avoids deep cuts for now, but long-term future is cloudy

A rally outside Mission High School last week protests proposed cuts to City College of San Francisco.

Carlos Avila Gonzalez/The Chronicle Show More Show Less

Student protesters call out trustees of City College of San Francisco, who authorized sending pink slips to more than 600 full- and part-time instructors to help close a $35 million shortfall.

City College of San Francisco and its faculty union headed off drastic layoffs and class cuts for at least a year over the weekend, after marathon negotiations meant to stave off the largest downsizing in the school&rsquos history.

Hundreds of full- and part-time instructors represented by the American Federation of Teachers Local 2121 who expected to be without a job next fall now have until Monday afternoon to ratify a one-year contract that includes pay cuts and other, undisclosed concessions.

&ldquoThis tentative agreement means that in the fall, City College classes will be open for our students,&rdquo said Malaika Finkelstein, the union president.

City College trustees approved pink slips for 163 full-time faculty members in March, setting off weeks of protests by students and faculty members. More than 440 part-time instructors also were set to be let go.

Altogether, the reductions were expected to lead to the loss of 600 classes next fall, eliminating or drastically reducing entire fields of study, including Cantonese, women&rsquos and gender studies, Philippine studies, and fashion.

Alex Combs (left) and Kistina Lee talk before a rally at Mission High School against proposed cuts to City College of San Francisco.

Carlos Avila Gonzalez/The Chronicle

City College is facing a $35 million deficit and planned to eliminate much of that with faculty layoffs and cuts to salaries and benefits, Vice Chancellor Tom Boegel said.

In broad terms, the new agreement reduces the projected deficit by $22.6 million with salary cuts and additional, unspecified &ldquosalary savings&rdquo and retirement savings.

City College officials declined to comment on details of the agreement, including how many courses will be cut, until it is ratified.

Finkelstein said the proposal ensures that most of the classes that would have been eliminated will be offered in fall.

&ldquoThat still leaves a longer-term problem &mdash a big problem,&rdquo she said. &ldquoSo we still need more investment if we&rsquore going to serve the community of San Francisco.&rdquo

Faculty members and the college&rsquos Board of Trustees are looking to city supervisors for long-term help. They would like to see the college receive ongoing funding from the city, as the San Francisco Unified School District does.

City College has lost thousands of students in recent years but has been unwilling to shrink classes and fire faculty to match the new reality, according to fiscal monitors.

One report last month found that the college risks going broke in part because it spends too much on salaries and benefits &mdash up to 98% of its general fund, compared with a statewide average at community colleges of 88.8%. The April 7 assessment from the state&rsquos Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team echoed audits and concerns from an accrediting commission that placed City College on &ldquoenhanced monitoring&rdquo in October for its financial problems.

But many instructors reject these reports, saying the 86-year-old college needs more funding and a campaign to bring students back.

&ldquoThis is a struggle over the soul of public education,&rdquo said Marcy Rein, co-author of &ldquoFree City: The Fight for San Francisco&rsquos City College and Education for All,&rdquo which tracks the college&rsquos successful effort to fend off accreditors who tried from 2012 to 2017 to close the financially troubled school.

Rein has joined students and faculty to speak out against the cuts, which they say would cause people of color to suffer most because they represent more than 80% of City College students.

While the college and the faculty have reached an agreement this year, both sides recognize that it&rsquos only a short-term solution to a long-term problem.

For a decade, state lawmakers have been transforming California&rsquos 116 community colleges into vehicles for full-time students to transfer to a university or earn a vocational certificate. They have stopped funding colleges based on enrollment alone, and have created a &ldquostudent-centered funding formula&rdquo to reward schools that increase the number of students who earn associate degrees and certificates, transfer to a university, speedily complete transfer-level math and English courses, and earn career education units.

City College is one of 29 community colleges still funded according to enrollment alone because they are far from achieving the goals. The protection expires in 2024.

Activists say City College should be exempted from the new funding system because most of those enrolled are not recent high school graduates or full-time students. Many are parents, immigrants, formerly incarcerated people, former foster youth and senior citizens.

Full-time students have not topped 10% of enrollment for at least 30 years, even when the college reported more than 100,000 students in 2008, records show. Current enrollment is about 55,000 students. Just 2,955 of them studied full time last year, and only 796 of those were fresh out of high school.

Reshaping City College &ldquofails to really, truly understand the classes that bring most benefit,&rdquo Vick Van Chung, a student and nonvoting member of the Board of Trustees, told The Chronicle.

Boegel, the vice chancellor, said that in the long run, the college has no choice. &ldquoWe have to acknowledge the reality of the (forthcoming) student-centered funding formula,&rdquo he said.

CCSF nursing student Julia Quon attends Zoom Cantonese class. CCSF had planned to eliminate the Cantonese program, but a last-minute agreement saved many faculty jobs and programs.

Scott Strazzante/The Chronicle

At 25, Julia Quon is a more typical student. She is a 2019 graduate of UC San Diego and is taking her prerequisites for a nursing degree she&rsquoll complete at a university. She also studies Cantonese, one of the offerings that was set to be eliminated. Quon and many other students need Cantonese for work, and it remains unclear whether the classes will survive under the new agreement.

Quon is a doula at San Francisco General Hospital, where many patients speak Cantonese. A classmate, Angela Wisco, is an emergency medical technician who was the only member of her ambulance team who could communicate with a patient during a recent ride.

&ldquoThere was a huge uproar&rdquo in the Zoom class the other evening when students learned that Cantonese faces elimination, Quon said. She and classmates quickly formed Save Cantonese at CCSF.

&ldquoI felt it was another act of anti-Asian hate,&rdquo she said of the planned cuts.

On Thursday, before the tentative agreement with faculty was reached, protesters largely representing Black and Asian American and Pacific Islander solidarity took their anti-cuts message outside the San Francisco home of Tom Temprano, a member of the Board of Trustees.

He wasn&rsquot there, but said in an interview that he agreed with the protesters. He added, &ldquoThis is what student activists should do when they feel their school is in trouble.&rdquo


San Francisco Will Spend $600,000 to Erase History

The school board has voted to destroy public murals by a New Deal-era Communist.

Ms. Weiss is a writer and editor for the Opinion section.

SAN FRANCISCO — More than $8,000. That was the amount John Ashcroft’s Justice Department spent on blue curtains to cover up the busty Spirit of Justice statue and her bare-chested male equivalent, the Majesty of Law, in the department’s Great Hall in 2002. The Victorian move against the Art Deco sculptures spurred a thousand lampoons. “A blue burqa for justice ,” my colleague Maureen Dowd memorably called it. In The Harvard Crimson, a young Pete Buttigieg wrote, “It seems odd that an infant is supposed to feed on them, and a grown man is expected at some point to behold them, but for a period in between we feel the need to see to it that no child ever sees a breast.”

I wonder, then, what Mr. Buttigieg, now on the presidential campaign trail, would make of the San Francisco school board ’s unanimous decision on Tuesday night to spend at least $600,000 of taxpayer money not just to shroud a historic work of art but to destroy it.

By now stories of progressive Puritanism (or perhaps the better word is Philistinism) are so commonplace — snowflakes seek safe space! — that it can feel tedious to track the details of the latest outrage. But this case is so absurd that it’s worth reviewing the specifics.

Victor Arnautoff, the Russian immigrant who made the paintings in question, was perhaps the most important muralist in the Bay Area during the Depression. Thanks to President Franklin Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration, he had the opportunity to make some enduring public artworks. Among them is “ City Life ” in Coit Tower, in which the artist painted himself standing in front of a newspaper rack conspicuously missing the mainstream San Francisco Chronicle and packed with publications like The Daily Worker.

Arnautoff, who had assisted Diego Rivera in Mexico, was a committed Communist. “ ‘Art for art’s sake’ or art as perfume have never appealed to me,” he said in 1935. “The artist is a critic of society.”

This is why his freshly banned work, “ Life of Washington ,” does not show the clichéd image of our first president kneeling in prayer at Valley Forge . Instead, the 13-panel, 1,600-square-foot mural, which was painted in 1936 in the just-built George Washington High School, depicts his slaves picking cotton in the fields of Mount Vernon and a group of colonizers walking past the corpse of a Native American.

“At the time, high school history classes typically ignored the incongruity that Washington and others among the nation’s founders subscribed to the declaration that ‘all men are created equal’ and yet owned other human beings as chattel,” Robert W. Cherny writes in “Victor Arnautoff and the Politics of Art.”

In other words, Arnautoff’s but was to unsettle the viewer, to provoke young people into looking at American history from a different, darker perspective. Over the past months, art historians, New Deal scholars and even a group called the Congress of Russian Americans have tried to make exactly that point.

“This is a radical and critical work of art,” the school’s alumni association argued. “There are many New Deal murals depicting the founding of our country very few even acknowledge slavery or the Native genocide. The Arnautoff murals should be preserved for their artistic, historical and educational value. Whitewashing them will simply result in another ‘whitewash’ of the full truth about American history.”

Such appeals to reason and history failed to sway the school board. On Tuesday, it dismissed the option to pull an Ashcroft and simply cover the mural s, instead voting unanimously to paint them over.

One of the commissioners, Faauuga Moliga, said before the vote on Tuesday that his chief concern was that “ kids are mentally and emotionally feeling safe at their schools. ” Thus he wanted “the murals to be painted down.” Mark Sanchez, the school board’s vice president, later told me that simply concealing the murals wasn’t an option because it would “allow for the possibility of them being uncovered in the future.” Destroying them was worth it regardless of the cost , he argued at the hearing, saying, “This is reparations.”

These and other explanations from the board’s members reflected the logic of the Reflection and Action Working Group , a committee of activists, students, artists and others put together last year by the district. Arnautoff’s work, the group concluded in February, “glorifies slavery, genocide, colonization, Manifest Destiny, white supremacy, oppression, etc.” The art does not reflect “social justice,” the group said, and it “is not student-centered if it’s focused on the legacy of artists, rather than the experience of the students.”

And yet many of the school’s actual students seemed to disagree. Of 49 freshmen asked to write about the murals, according to The Times, only four supported their removal. John M. Strain, an English teacher, told The Times’s Carol Pogash that his students “feel bad about offending people but they almost universally don’t think the answer is to erase it.”

Which makes one wonder who these bureaucrats actually seek to protect. Is it the students? Or could it also be their reputations, given that those in favor of preserving the murals are being smeared as racists?

“In my entire life, no one has ever, ever accused me of being a ‘white supremacist,’” Lope Yap Jr., a filmmaker and the vice president of the alumni association, told me. But if you buy into the expansive notion of “white supremacy” put forward by Alison Collins, one of the board commissioners, that is exactly what Mr. Yap, who is Filipino , is. “One of the earmarks of white supremacy culture is valuing (white) property over (Black & Brown) ppl,” Ms. Collins recently wrote on Twitter. “I think about this when I read comments from folks arguing to ‘protect’ the ‘Life of Washington’ murals.”

Mr. Sanchez, the board vice president, told me: “A grave mistake was made 80 years ago to paint a mural at a school without Native American or African-American input. For impressionable young people who attend school to have any representation that diminishes people, specifically students from communities that have already been diminished, it’s an aggressive thing. It’s hurtful and I don’t think our students need to bear that burden.”

The implications of this logic are chilling. What happens when a student suggests that looking at photographs of the My Lai massacre in history class is too traumatic? Should newspapers avoid printing upsetting images that illuminate the crisis at the border, like the unforgettable one of Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his 23-month-old daughter, Valeria, facedown, drowned in the Rio Grande?

All are fair game for censorship in a worldview that insists that words and images are to be judged based on how “safe” they make people feel.

“If K-12 schools start to provide top-down total protection from the emotional pain of confronting uncomfortable ideas — like what actually happened in real American history — we should not be at all surprised when these people go on to college campuses and then, into the work force, and demand the same sort of comforts: safe spaces, trigger warnings, microaggression prevention, and so on,” said Robby Soave, the author of “Panic Attack: Young Radicals in the Age of Trump.” He added: “That’s not on them. That’s on us.”

The notion of erasing art has an American pedigree. Arnautoff was intimately familiar with it, having been interrogated in 1956 by the House Un-American Activities Committee for drawing a caricature of Vice President Richard Nixon. But I suspect he would have been surprised to learn that more than 60 years later, progressives in charge of educating San Francisco’s children are merrily following this un-American playbook.

Bari Weiss (@bariweiss), a staff writer and editor for the Opinion section, is the author of the forthcoming “How to Fight Anti-Semitism.”


A History of UCSF

Well before individual practitioners succeeded in organizing themselves into professional societies, the needs of the public’s health prompted official government action on behalf of the San Francisco citizens. The task of removing the seriously ill or indigent from the streets and the threat of major epidemics prompted the city to provide for hospital care, first in tents and board sheds under supervision of contracting physicians. In 1850 a state bill appropriated $50,000 to build a State Marine Hospital in San Francisco.

Meanwhile, in 1851 the U.S. Congress created a U.S. Marine Hospital in San Francisco, which was completed in 1853 and provided accommodations for an additional 500 patients. In 1855 the State Marine Hospital building was transformed into the City and County Hospital of San Francisco, supported by fees collected by a public health officer who inspected every vessel that entered the port.

In 1854, six Sisters of Mercy arrived from Ireland. They won praise for cleaning up the hospital environment after a series of scandals over poor care and for nursing patients through cholera and smallpox. The Sisters of Mercy stayed in San Francisco and continued to provide hospital care in a setting that eventually became St. Mary’s Hospital. By 1857 the City and County Hospital was located in the former North Beach School at the southwest corner of Francisco and Stockton Streets. In order to help relieve crowding, in 1867 the city of San Francisco built a large almshouse near Laguna Honda on eighty acres of city-owned land on the western side of Twin Peaks. The following year the city created a 24-bed smallpox isolation hospital on the Laguna Honda grounds.

In 1858 California surgeon Elias Samuel Cooper organized the Medical Department of the University of the Pacific with a board of trustees consisting of ten clergymen and three physicians. The first session opened in May 1859, with a class of ten attending lectures in materia medica, chemistry, physiology, anatomy and medical jurisprudence. Dr. Cooper's death in 1862 brought confusion to the new school, and in 1864 the Pacific Medical faculty "suspended" activities and joined Dr. Hugh Toland in his efforts to found a viable medical school in San Francisco.

As San Francisco's population continued to grow, Hugh Toland's influence and wealth also increased, earning an estimated $40,000 per year. In 1864, he decided to establish a medical school in San Francisco and purchased land for that purpose in North Beach, at Stockton and Francisco, opposite the San Francisco City and County Hospital. A handsome building was soon completed, and Toland Medical College was open for enrolment. Clinical instruction and dissecting experience were the centerpieces of Toland's educational program, reflecting his training and experience in Parisian hospitals where clinical findings were carefully correlated with autopsy results.

The school catalogue reflected Toland's insistence on the importance of clinical instruction. Lectures were given at San Francisco City and County Hospital

where a "senior student examines the patient announces the diagnosis and prognosis and views about treatment before class, discussion follows, complete clinical histories are kept and there are broad opportunities for autopsies." Just a month after classes began, the state of California approved a dissection law permitting pauper bodies to be studied by accredited physicians, thus opening the way for Toland students to gain experience doing dissection.

Toland's first class consisted of eight students, mostly drawn from the Cooper Medical College. The faculty of this lapsed medical college were asked to serve on the Toland roster, and Drs. Levi Cooper Lane, Henry Gibbons, Sr., and John F. Morse joined the faculty with some ambivalence. Significantly, R. Beverly Cole, the Dean and professor of obstetrics and diseases of women and children at Cooper, was not asked by Toland to join his new faculty.

The Toland Medical College quickly prospered. Its faculty of eight offered two four-month courses costing $130 and leading to the degree of doctor of medicine. In the valedictory address to the first graduating class of Toland Medical College in 1865, Toland urged his graduates to devote a portion of every day to the study of monographs and medical journals to remain professionally competitive. While boasting that he had built and furnished the school with his own resources, Toland also made a direct pitch to the new alumni to help their alma mater by supplying medical books. "When success crowns your efforts," he urged, "contribute in proportion to your ability and prepare a niche in this institution which will bear your names and transmit them to posterity."

R. Beverly Cole returned from a tour of Europe in 1867 and was appointed Surgeon General of the State of California in recognition of his valuable public health efforts. As a member of the Outside Lands Committee of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, Cole became a well-known figure in the city's political arena. He supported the establishment of Golden Gate Park on the western edge of the city. Cole simultaneously persuaded the local health board to condemn the old City and County Hospital building, and a new institution was planned at Potrero Nuevo, a site nearly four miles southeast of Toland's College. The impression among San Francisco's medical fraternity was that Cole had finally achieved his revenge for Toland's past rebuffs by weakening the College's vital link to the world of clinical medicine. Eventually, however, Dr. Cole would join the Toland medical faculty and become instrumental in the affiliation negotiations with the University of California.

By 1870, Toland Medical College had a class of thirty students and had already granted diplomas to forty-five graduates. In that year, Toland sought to affiliate his medical school to the University of California, which itself was not yet two years old. In March 1873, the trustees deeded the Toland Medical College to the University of California Regents and the faculty minutes for the first time bore the heading, "The Medical Department of the University of California."

R. Beverly Cole became the dean and twenty-seven students were enrolled in the first class. Toland's donation was appraised at the time at $100,000 in buildings, lands, and instructional equipment, a gift that substantially increased the holdings of the young state university. On September 15, 1874, the regents adopted a resolution stating that "young women offering themselves for admission and passing the required examination must be received to all the privileges of the Medical Department." Responding to this new policy, schoolteacher Lucy Wanzer matriculated and in 1876 became the first female graduate of the Medical Department of the University of California. Many other young women followed her precedent, among them Mayor Adolf Sutro's daughter. In the subsequent five decades, roughly 10 percent of each graduating class was female, far in advance of the national average of 4 percent.


The greatest college basketball team ever in the Bay Area, or anywhere

Partagez ceci :

In its infancy, college basketball was low, slow and disjointed.

It goes without saying that there was no March Madness beaming college hoops to the four corners of the country. There were no ubiquitous brackets, and no killjoys telling people, “I don’t care about your brackets.”

There was no between-the-legs dribble, no 3-point line stretching the game almost to the shadow of half court. Dunks were neither competitive nor cultural statements.

The game was played on the floor, in short shorts. There was no shot clock. Because, why? There was no “One Shining Moment” with confetti wafting down from the ceiling after a championship game. The team manager packed away the uniforms and everyone headed for the bus. And that was that.

Then came the University of San Francisco Dons.

College basketball may have gotten off to a slow start, but it was always going to be the game we know now. You could argue USF was the transformative outfit that gave it a huge shove toward its manifest destiny.

Before USF, only three college teams had won back-to-back postseason tournaments — Oklahoma State and Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament, and St. John’s in the NIT.

Only one, the 1938-39 Long Island University Sharks, posted a perfect record.

Almost no one played above the rim so frequently and insistently, as did the Dons. Give them credit, they warned a sea change was in the offing.

During the 1953-54 season, coach Phil Woolpert promoted a certain Bill Russell from the school’s JV squad to the varsity. Russell, a sophomore from Oakland’s McClymonds High, had intended to get a job at the shipyards after high school. Fate intervened when USF alum Hal DeJulio, who had seen Russell playing basketball, recommended the lad to Woolpert.

Russell was still growing when he reported to the Dons’ varsity, from 6-foot-8 as a freshman to 6-9 as a sophomore and topping out at 6-10 as a senior. With Russell averaging 19.9 points and 19.2 rebounds, the Dons finished 14-7 in his first season on the big club.

The Dons’ 1954-55 season opened with optimism and back-to-back games in Southern California — a nine-point win over Loyola Marymount, followed by a seven-point loss to John Wooden’s UCLA Bruins.

In hindsight there are two developments that elevate this game. One, the myth-making hype machine that went into overdrive so as to deliver Russell’s revelatory exploits to a breathless world. From the Oakland Tribune account for that game in Westwood:

“San Francisco’s towering 6-foot-9-inch center Bill Russell played a sort of one-man volleyball (game) under the basket, blocked innumerable Bruin shots and kept two Bruins occupied at a time most of the night. However, he was outscored by Bruin forward John Moore, 17 points to 15 points.”

And two, it was the last college basketball game Bill Russell would ever lose.

USF tore undefeated through the rest of the regular season, winning 19 of the 20 games by double digits. They eased through the two first postseason games. Then came a rematch with Oregon State. The two teams had met early in the season at Kezar Pavilion in Golden Gate Park, with USF winning handily, 60-34. The second game, in Gill Coliseum on the OSU campus, went down to the wire.

With 13 seconds left in the contest and USF up 57-53, Oregon State’s Swede Halbrook, at 7-foot-3 the tallest basketball player in the country, sank two free throws.

USF called a time out. But the Dons’ K.C. Jones was assessed a technical foul for shoving before the ball was inbounded. Halbrook, buried the free throw to make it a 57-56 nailbiter.

Oregon State guard Ron Robbins misfired on a set shot. The rebound wound up in a jump ball between Halbrook and Jones. The tip was batted into the air. Russell directed the loose ball to USF team captain Hal Perry who secured it until the final horn.

The championship game figured to be a clash of titans — USF and its 19-game win streak against defending NCAA champion LaSalle in Kansas City.

Russell came out firing, scoring 18 points in the first half. Kansas coach Phog Allen said at halftime that Russell’s performance was the most exciting he had ever seen in his career of 45 years.

Russell finished with 23 points. But it was Jones who led the Dons with 24 points and held La Salle’s 24-point-per game forward Tom Gola to six field goals.

After the 77-63 victory Russell said, “I played on the greatest team in the world, and we defeated the best team we ever played against.”

Back in the Bay Area a gala luncheon was quickly planned for the team in the Gold Room of the Fairmont Hotel. Tickets were $3.25. The Dons’ breakthrough season: Priceless.

There was only one way for the USF basketball team to improve on its 1954-55 tour de force: Another title and an undefeated record.

That seemed to be the expectation. Prior the 1955-56 season, the Dons were picked by the United Press board of coaches to win the national title again. Russell was placed on Sports Magazine’s preseason all-NCAA team.

Their first test was a rematch of the 1955 title game against La Salle in the Holiday Festival Tournament in the heady environment of New York City’s Madison Square Garden. Woolpert assured reporters that his players were not overconfident. “As for winning another NCAA championship,” he told newsmen, “there are so many factors involved that you can’t forecast what will happen.”

What happened in the La Salle game was fairly predictable. Without the Gola — he had graduated — La Salle lost by 17. One game later, the Dons met UCLA, the only team to beat them. It was another 17-point romp for the Dons.

Sports Illustrated was in attendance during the Holiday Tournament and was dead impressed with the No. 1 player on the No. 1-rated team in the country dating to the previous Feb. 8.

“For almost a year college basketball has been dominated as never before by a man who, basically, cannot shoot,” wrote SI’s Roy Terrell. “His name is Bill Russell and if he ever learns to hit the basket someone is going to have to revise the rules.

“From the moment, as an almost unknown junior, Russell began to lead the University of San Francisco into national prominence last season, people have been writing and talking about this amazing string bean and his phenomenal feats.”

The Garden was packed to the rafters to see Russell. The crowds were cool to him at first. But:

“As the tournament progressed and San Francisco moved steadily ahead into the finals, the looks of doubt and derision changed into looks of incredulity and awe,” Terrell wrote. “For the things which Russell can do he does superlatively well, perhaps better than anyone in college basketball has ever done them before. All the words they had read had not really prepared the crowd for Bill Russell.

History was made on Jan. 28, 1956. USF was 39-0 and poised to break what Bay Area newspapers called the “modern collegiate” record of 39 successive victories. As fate would have it, the opponent was Cal, coached by Pete Newell. He took the air out of the ball. This was a feature of mid-century basketball. With no shot clock, underdogs would simply hold the ball. The strategy helped Cal build a 13-3 lead.

According to the Oakland Tribune, “USF fans booed and jeered.” The Dons put on a full-court press and took a modest lead. Even then, with USF ahead 26-21, Cal’s reserve center Joe Hagler held the ball, just stood there, for 7:40. USF played keepaway to record the 33-24 victory — the team’s 40th win in a row.

USF ran the table from there with a string of double-digit victories leading up to the NCAA championship game.

The newsreel, ubiquitous in that era, featured an enthused narrator who opined that the Dons were “on the threshold of the greatest sports story of the century.”

First they fell behind 15-4 to No. 4 Iowa, But Russell was too much for the Hawkeyes, scoring 26 points and grabbing 27 rebounds. The narrator called Russell “the Babe Ruth of basketball.”


San Francisco supervisor says his car was broken into outside City Hall

San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai speaks during a news conference outside City Hall on Tuesday, June 26, 2018, in San Francisco.

Eric Risberg / Associated Press

San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai's car was broken into outside City Hall on Tuesday, the supervisor tweeted.

Safai represents the city's 11th Supervisorial District and said the break-in happened while he was calling attention to a rise in property crime across the city.

"Ironically, as this was happening outside of City Hall, I was calling for a hearing to review the rise of shoplifting and theft in our small businesses and anchor stores such as Walgreens, Safeway and CVS," he tweeted. "We cannot just turn a blind eye."

My car was broken into right in front of City Hall on Tuesday pic.twitter.com/a1aJKJhFo0

&mdash Ahsha Safai 安?&ndash輝 (@Ahsha_Safai) March 11, 2021

A wave of burglaries in San Francisco has prompted some businesses to hire armed security guards, and home burglaries are also rising, the San Francisco Chronicle has reported. (SFGATE and the San Francisco Chronicle are both owned by Hearst but operate independently of one another.)

The increase in crime has led to dissatisfaction with San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin, who is now the target of a recall campaign. Organizers received a green light from the city's Department of Elections to begin gathering signatures. The recall needs 51,000 signatures by mid-August to be successful.



Commentaires:

  1. Cormic

    Je crois que vous vous trompez. Je suis sûr. Discutons de cela. Envoyez-moi un courriel à PM, nous parlerons.

  2. Thaw

    Je confirme. Je suis d'accord avec tout ce qui est ci-dessus par dit.

  3. Ector

    C'est vraiment cool



Écrire un message