Thomas Bury


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Thomas Bury est né en 1811. Après une formation d'architecte sous A.W.N. Pugin, Bury est devenu un artiste. En 1831, deux séries d'estampes ont été publiées de ses peintures du Liverpool & Manchester Railway. Les livres publiés par Rudolf Ackerman ont été un grand succès et il a été avancé qu'ils sont les images les plus connues de chemins de fer jamais produites. Malgré le succès de ses images de chemin de fer, Bury n'est jamais revenu sur ce sujet pendant le reste de sa carrière. Thomas Bury est mort en 1877.


Bury, Lancashire

Bury, un arrondissement municipal, parlementaire et de comté et une paroisse du Lancashire. La ville a été constituée par charte royale en 1876 et compte un maire, 10 échevins et 30 conseillers. Il est divisé en cinq quartiers, a une commission de la paix et a été étendu par le Bury Improvement Act de 1885. Bury se trouve sur la rivière Irwell, à 2 miles au-dessus de sa confluence avec le Roach, et à 8 NNW de Manchester. Le canal de Bury, Bolton et Manchester va vers le sud-ouest, et les chemins de fer vont vers l'ouest, le nord, l'est et le sud. Une station romaine est considérée par certains comme ayant été sur le site de la ville, un fort saxon semble certainement avoir été ici, et un château baronnial de date ancienne se trouvait à Castle Croft dans les environs de la ville, et a été démoli en 1644 par les troupes de Cromwell. Le manoir appartenait à l'époque d'Henri II. à John de Lacy, et passa successivement aux Bury, aux Pilkington et aux Stanley. Un rassemblement de 20 000 hommes dans la cause royaliste a été fait en 1642 sur une lande dans le voisinage par Lord Strange, plus tard comte de Derby.

La ville a été décrite en 1738 comme une "petite ville de marché", mais ce n'était alors qu'un village, et elle a rapidement pris de l'ampleur sous l'effet de l'entreprise manufacturière. Autrefois, il contenait de vieux bâtiments délabrés et avait un aspect terne, mais il a subi de grandes améliorations par la reconstruction de maisons, par la formation de nouvelles rues et par la construction de travaux de drainage, et il présente maintenant un aspect bien construit et propre, est bien éclairé et abondamment alimenté en eau. La place du marché, construite en 1840, est couverte d'un toit de fer forgé et de verre. Une statue en bronze de Sir Robert Peel sur un piédestal massif de granit a été érigée sur l'ancienne place du marché en 1852 pour un coût de £3000. L'hôtel de ville est un bel édifice de style italien, contient une salle de réunion de 54 pieds sur 36, et comprend des palais de justice et un bureau de police. L'Athénaum, attenant à l'hôtel de ville, érigé en 1851, est un bel édifice, et contient une salle de 85 pieds sur 43, un musée de 43 pieds sur 30, des salles de classe, une bibliothèque et des salles de lecture. Les bureaux de banque, la caisse d'épargne, la gare, les bains publics et le lycée sont de bons bâtiments. L'église paroissiale de St Mary's, qui aurait été érigée à la fin du 10ème siècle, a été reconstruite en 1780, et avait une tour et une flèche reconstruites en 1844 le bâtiment actuel, a été érigé en 1871-1876 pour un coût de £25, 000, récoltés par souscription. L'église St John's a été construite en 1770, St Paul's en 1841, Holy Trinity en 1865, St Thomas' en 1867, la dernière est une structure de style gothique avec une tour haute et une flèche St Mark's a été construite en 1884. L'église St Stephen's, un Wesleyan chapelle et une chapelle catholique romaine sont de beaux édifices. Il y a quatre chapelles congrégationalistes, trois baptistes, douze méthodistes, un unitarien, un swedenborgian et deux chapelles catholiques romaines un cimetière (1869), comprenant 33 acres, avec deux chapelles mortuaires un lycée, fondé en 1726, et avec un revenu doté de à propos de £800, et trois expositions dans les universités, et une école de choristes qui lui est liée un hôpital et un dispensaire, érigé en 1882 par souscription publique, des terrains de loisirs publics, formé en 1886, et un théâtre, érigé en 1889. La ville a un bureau de poste, de mandat-poste et de télégraphe, deux gares, plusieurs banques, de nombreuses bonnes auberges, un marché hebdomadaire le samedi et trois foires annuelles, est le siège des petites sessions et des tribunaux de comté, et publie deux journaux hebdomadaires.

La fabrication de laine était autrefois la principale industrie de la ville, et se poursuit encore dans plusieurs grandes usines. La fabrication du coton dans divers départements, qui est maintenant l'aliment de base, a reçu une grande impulsion des inventions de deux indigènes, John et Robert Kay, et de l'entreprise du père de feu Sir Robert Peel, et maintient actuellement de nombreuses usines de filature et de tissage, l'impression et le blanchiment, et pour la teinture. Il y a aussi plusieurs fonderies de fer, usines de fabrication de machines, chapelleries et autres établissements manufacturiers. La surface est vallonnée et les strates produisent du charbon et de la pierre de construction. La ville renvoyait autrefois deux députés au Parlement, mais en vertu du Reform Act de 1832, elle n'en envoie plus qu'un seul à la Chambre des communes. Ses limites, en plus de tout le canton de Bury, comprennent une partie du canton d'Elton. Superficie de l'arrondissement parlementaire, 4368 acres de population, 55 491 superficie de l'arrondissement de comté, 6028 acres de population, 57 212.

La paroisse comprend les cantons de Bury, Eiton, Heap, Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth, Tottington-Lower-End, Tottington-Higher-End, Musbury, Musden Head, et le Tripit d'Ogden, et Coupe Lench, avec Newhall-Hey et Hall-Carr. Superficie de la paroisse civile de Bury, 2330 acres d'habitants, 41 038 de la paroisse ecclésiastique de Holy Trinity, 6147 St John, 5945 St Mark, 8344 St Mary, 4480 St Paul, 6899 St Peter, 4409 et St Thomas, 4834. St Mary's Is un presbytère St John's, St Paul's, Holy Trinity et St Mark's sont des presbytères. St Peter's et St Thomas' sont des curés perpétuels, dans le diocèse de Manchester, valeur de St Mary's, £1500 de St John's, £400 de St Paul's, £300 de Holy Trinity, £343 de St Thomas', £293 de St Mark's, £300 de St Peter's , £304. Patron de St Mary's, le comte de Derby, et des autres, le recteur. Chamber Hall, à proximité de la ville, était le lieu de naissance de feu Sir Robert Peel.


L'histoire de la famille Cole

Je suis à la recherche des Cole depuis plus de 30 ans et j'ai la plupart des paroisses du Devon et de Cornwall. Ce n'est qu'une petite quantité d'informations que j'ai trouvées sur la famille ou les familles avec lesquelles ils se sont mariés. N'hésitez pas à me contacter si vous avez des questions sur Cole du Devon ou des Cornouailles. La plupart des Cole de ma base de données datent d'avant les années 1800, à l'exception de ma ligne directe. Contactez-moi à [email protected]

Ils étaient l'un des plus grands propriétaires fonciers du Devon, des Cornouailles et du Somerset selon les archives du parlement jusqu'à la fin des années 1500 au début des années 1600. La plupart des terres ont été données dans des colonies de mariage.

J'ai trouvé des mariages avec certaines des familles bien connues de l'ouest du pays, telles que celles de Courtney, Arundell, Edgecombe, Treymaine, Grenville, Raleigh, Drake, Gilbert, Hele, Durnford et Moreshead.

Sir Francis Drakes grand-mère était Margaret Cole, son père John était également le grand-père de Sir Walter Raleigh, Sir Richard Grenville, Joan Durnford, Joan mariée à la famille Egdecombe

J'ai trouvé un joli site Web réalisé par Howard Cole, il a beaucoup d'histoire de la famille Cole à

Ma page Web contient des informations que j'ai trouvées et qui peuvent ne pas être mentionnées sur le site Web de Howard.

Voici quelques-uns des détails que j'ai trouvés sur les Cole's dans le Devon et les Cornouailles

Trevenna, autrefois siège des Mohuns, est aujourd'hui la propriété de Joseph Grigg. Mennabroom, autrefois siège des Coles, est maintenant une ferme, propriété de John Buller, Esq. Hole est la propriété et la résidence de M. John Rundle.

Familles anciennes, dont la branche principale est éteinte, ou supprimée, depuis 1620, mais certains des descendants restent dans le comté.

Armoiries : D'argent au taureau passant, sab., dans une bordure du second, bezanty.

Sir George Southcote, de Shillingford, fils aîné de Thomas Southcote, d'Indiho, par sa troisième épouse, épousa une cohéritière de Cole, de Buckland Touissaints, et était l'ancêtre de feu John Henry Southcote, Esq., qui vendit Buckland, et mourut en 1820.

De : 'Histoire générale : Familles supprimées depuis 1620', Magna Britannia : volume 6 : Devonshire (1822), pp. CLXXIII-CCXXV. URL : http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50555&strquery=Cole%20of%20Cornwall

Hody, de Netheway, à Brixham. Sir John Hody, de Stowel, dans le Somersetshire, a acquis ce lieu en mariage avec l'héritière de Cole, qui avait également une résidence à Pillesdon, dans le Dorsetshire, son fils, Sir John Hody, juge en chef du banc du roi, a épousé l'héritière de Jewe , de Whitfield, et Beerhall, dans le Devon, la postérité de son fils aîné a continué à Netheway pendant plusieurs descentes. John Hody, Esq., a vendu Netheway en 1696 et a quitté le Devon. Edmund Hody, MD, de cette branche, était de Londres en 1750. Hugh et Arthur, deux plus jeunes fils de Christopher Hody, Esq., de Netheway, qui ont écrit leur nom Huddy, étaient de Brixham en 1620 : les cohéritières de Hugh marié Burland, de Dorsetshire, et Hody, de Northover, dans le Somersetshire. Sir William Hody, deuxième fils du Lord Chief Justice, était le baron en chef de l'Échiquier et l'ancêtre des Hody de Pillesdon, dans le Dorsetshire, et de Crewkerne, dans le Somersetshire. Robert Hody, Esq., qui était de Crewkerne sous le règne de la reine Elizabeth, avait deux fils John, l'aîné, qui était de Beer-hall, (Thorncombe,) dans le Devon, a laissé une fille unique mariée à Bowditch le fils suivant était ancêtre des Hody, de Northover, dans le Somersetshire dont la branche était le savant Dr Humphry Hody, archidiacre d'Oxford, décédé en 1706.

Armoiries de Hody : D'argent, au fesse parti, coupé en retrait, V. et S. entre deux cottises inversées.

Carminow de Carminow à Mawgan (Meneage), dit avoir été installé là avant la conquête, mais pas retracé avec certitude plus loin que le règne d'Henri III. La lignée mâle de la branche aînée s'est éteinte vers le milieu du quatorzième siècle, lorsque les cohéritières épousèrent Arundell, Trewarthian et Petit. Les cohéritières d'une branche cadette, qui s'installèrent à Boconnoc dès le règne d'Edouard III, épousèrent Carew et Courtenay vers la fin du XVe siècle. Une branche plus jeune des Carminow de Boconnoc s'installa à Fentongollan et devint propriétaire d'une propriété foncière très étendue, qui se dissipa vers l'an 1600. Cette branche, peu de temps après, s'éteignit les cohéritières épousèrent Salter et Cole (fn. 6) . Les cohéritières d'une branche cadette des Carminow de Fentongollan (installées à Resprin à Saint-Vanne) ont épousé Prideaux et Flamanck. Cette branche, descendante de Walter, un troisième fils de Walter Carminow de Boconnoc, épousa l'héritière de Resprin et cohéritières de Trenowth et Champernon Nicholas, un fils cadet de cette branche, épousa une cohéritière de Wolvedon. Les héritières d'une autre branche plus jeune de la famille Fentongollan (installée à Trenowth) épousèrent Boscawen et Herle. Une troisième branche de cette famille était celle de Polmawgan à St. Winnow, d'où ils se rendirent à Trehannick à St. Teath, où William Carminow, le dernier héritier mâle de cette ancienne famille, mourut en 1646 Thomas Carminow, de cette branche , épousa la cohéritière de Hilliard. L'ancêtre commun des Carminow a épousé l'héritière de Rawleigh. La branche Boconnoc, avant que la famille Fentongollan ne se sépare, épousa les héritières de Glynn et Tynten. La branche Fentongollan a épousé l'héritière de Resprin et la cohéritière de Trenowth, qui a hérité Fentongollan de Trejago.

Extrait de : 'Histoire générale : familles de la noblesse disparue', Magna Britannia : volume 3 : Cornwall (1814), pp. CXVIII-CLXXIV. URL : http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50618&strquery=Cole%20%20of%20St%20Neot

Cole a épousé une cohéritière de Carminow. Armes : Arg. au taureau passant, de gueules, sur une bordure de sable, à huit besants.

Extrait de : 'Histoire générale : familles de la noblesse disparue', Magna Britannia : volume 3 : Cornwall (1814), pp. CXVIII-CLXXIV. URL : http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50618&strquery=Cole%20%20of%20St%20Neot

Après avoir traité des familles de Cornouailles, le Dr Borlase, dans l'un de ses manuscrits, observe : plus les Grenville, les Arundell, les Carminow, les Champernon, les Bodrugans, les Mohuns, les Killegrews, les Bevilles, les Trevanions, qui avaient une grande influence et des possessions dans ces parages.Les familles les plus durables n'ont que leurs saisons, plus ou moins, d'une certaine force constitutionnelle Ils ont leur printemps, et l'éclat du soleil d'été, leur déclin, leur déclin et leur mort, ils fleurissent et brillent peut-être pendant des siècles enfin ils écœurent leur lumière pâlit, et, à une crise où les décalages sont flétris et le vieux stock est foudroyée, toute la tribu disparaît et quitte le monde comme elle l'a fait Cornwall. Il y a des limites imposées à tout sous le soleil : l'homme ne respectera pas l'honneur. De toutes les vanités humaines, l'orgueil familial est l'un des plus faibles. Lecteur , passe ton chemin, sécurise ton na moi dans le livre de la vie, où la page ne se fane pas, ni le titre ne change ni n'expire, laissez le reste aux Heralds et au ParishRegister."

Extrait de : 'Histoire générale : familles de la noblesse disparue', Magna Britannia : volume 3 : Cornwall (1814), pp. CXVIII-CLXXIV. URL : http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50618&strquery=Cole%20%20of%20St%20Neot

Paroisses
Otterham - Probus

POUGHILL, dans la centaine de Stratton, et dans le doyenné de Trigg-Major, se trouve à un mille au nord-ouest de Stratton. Le manoir fut donné par Hubert de Burgh, comte de Kent, à l'abbaye de Clive dans le Somersetshire : il fut vendu par le roi James I. à George Salter et John Williams : le Dr Borlase dit qu'il appartenait en son temps à M. John Stanbury de Broomhill : c'est maintenant la propriété de Thomas Trood, Esq., qui l'a acheté de feu John Cunyngham Saunders, Esq., un éminent chirurgien à Londres, bien connu par son institution d'un hôpital pour les maladies de l'œil, et ses améliorations dans ce département de chirurgie. Ce manoir ne consiste qu'en une royauté, qui s'étend sur la paroisse, il n'y a ni terres ni fermage lui appartenant.

Guillaume de Worcester, dans son itinéraire de Cornouailles, écrit sous le règne d'Edouard IV, rapporte que, en 1437, Nicholas Radford, avocat de lord Bonville contre Thomas comte de Devon, fut tué dans sa propre maison à Poughill, par Thomas, fils aîné dudit comte, qui succéda ensuite au titre.

Flexbury, dans cette paroisse, la résidence de M. Ralph Cole, appartient au révérend Charles Dayman. Maer est la propriété et la résidence de Richard Martyn Braddon, Esq. Broomhill, la propriété et la résidence tardive de Thomas Trood, Esq. Reeds a été récemment construit par John Vikry Jose, Esq., pour sa propre résidence.

La bataille bien connue de Stratton a eu lieu dans cette paroisse, près de la ville de Stratton, sur une colline appelée, du fait qu'elle avait été la position du comte de Stamford, le général parlementaire, Stamford's Hill (fn. 38) : dans le l'année 1713, un monument a été érigé à cet endroit, avec l'inscription suivante, "Dans ce lieu, l'armée des rebelles sous le commandement du comte de Stamford a reçu un signal de renversement par la bravoure de Sir Beville Granville et l'armée de Cornouailles, le Mardi 6 mai 1643, par George Lord Lansdowne, contrôleur de la maison et l'un des principaux secrétaires d'État." Ce monument a été décroché avant la mémoire de toute personne vivant maintenant : la tablette contenant l'inscription a été enlevée à Stratton, et fixée sur le devant de la maison du marché lorsque quelques modifications ont été faites dans ce bâtiment, elle a de nouveau été enlevée et placée devant l'auberge de l'Arbre, où elle se trouve toujours.

Les grandes dîmes de Poughill, qui ont été appropriées au prieuré de Launceston, ont été vendues en plusieurs fois celles de Flexbury, Hollabury, Coumbe et Coumbe-parks, appartiennent à George Boughton Kingdon, Esq. Le presbytère est dans le don de la couronne.

Au cours des 200 à 300 années suivantes, la famille s'est agrandie dans le Devon, devenant des citoyens éminents grâce à la chevalerie, et en épousant des héritières héraldiques et en acquérant ainsi des terres (12). Vers l'an 1500, une branche de la famille est devenue résidente de Sudbury, Suffolk, et un branche de cette famille est allé à Winchester.

CORNWALLS, ou EVER CORNWALLIS MANOR, qui en 1086 était inclus dans le manoir principal, a probablement acquis son identité distincte lorsque l'honneur de Wallingford a été saisi par Henri II. Contrairement à Iver Manor, il est resté attaché à l'honneur jusqu'au milieu du 14ème siècle environ, quand il a été détenu d'Iver Manor, cette suzeraineté étant mentionnée pour la dernière fois en 1525.

Le manoir a été détenu dans le domaine en 1254 par Richard comte de Cornouailles, qui l'a subinféodé à son fils illégitime Richard Cornwall. En 1300, Richard avait été remplacé par son fils Geoffrey, qui épousa Margaret Mortimer, et en 1328, il installa le manoir sur leur fils Richard et sa femme Sibyl en queue-mâle. Geoffrey Cornwall mourut en 1335 et Richard en 1343, sa veuve Sibyl survivant jusqu'en 1349, date à laquelle Iver passa à leur fils Geoffrey, âgé de quatorze ans, auquel Alan Clavering fut nommé tuteur en 1350. Geoffrey entra dans le manoir à sa majorité en 1357, et mourut en 1365, laissant un fils Brian, mineur, et une veuve Cecilia, décédée en 1369. À la mort de Brian sans descendance en 1400, son frère Richard Cornwall lui succéda et laissa comme héritier à sa mort en 1443 Thomas Cornwall, fils de son fils Edmond. Thomas Cornwall a été atteint en 1461 et a perdu le manoir, qui a été accordé en 1468, sous le nom de Cornwalls Manor, à John Shuckborough et Nicholas Clevely pour la vie. En 1473, Edmund, fils de Thomas Cornwall, récupéra les terres de son père, qu'il laissa à son fils Thomas à sa mort en 1489. En 1506, Sir Thomas Cornwall aliéna Cornwalls Manor à des fiduciaires, dont il fut acquis par William Haddon. Ce dernier mourut saisi en 1521, laissant un fils Thomas, pendant la minorité duquel son tuteur William Saunders retira frauduleusement l'argent dû au roi. Thomas Haddon semble en 1540 avoir hypothéqué Cornwalls aux Windsors, mais a transmis la réversion à Robert Wolman, qui en 1568 a transféré son droit à Edward Nelson et à d'autres. William Onslow, cependant, a affirmé que Wolman lui avait transmis la réversion, et il a aliéné le manoir en 1570 à James Heblethwaite et Percival Haddon, ce dernier renonçant peu après à son droit sur celui-ci. James Heblethwaite a gagné le procès intenté pour régler la propriété du domaine et a cédé le manoir en 1591 à Richard Barton. En 1617, il était entré en possession d'Edward, puis de Sir Edward Salter et d'Ursula, sa femme. Sir Edward installa la plus grande partie de ses domaines à Iver sur son fils Sir William et sa descendance par sa première épouse Mary Shirland, et mourut en 1647. Sir William étant décédé avant lui, le manoir est descendu au deuxième mais premier fils survivant de ce dernier et héritier Christopher Salter. À la mort de Christopher sans descendance l'année suivante, sa sœur et héritière Elizabeth hérita de Cornwalls. Son mari Thomas Cole a été condamné à une amende de 20 livres en tant que royaliste en 1649, et à sa libération en 1653, lui et sa femme ont transféré leurs droits sur Cornwalls Manor à Anne Salter, la belle-mère d'Elizabeth. En 1695, le manoir appartenait à Thomas et Richard Bérenger, par qui il fut vendu en 1699 à Christopher Tower, décédé en 1728, lorsqu'il passa à son fils Christopher. Ce dernier mourut en 1771, laissant un fils Christopher, qui rompit le lien en 1778. Il conserva Cornwalls Manor jusqu'à sa mort en 1810, date à laquelle son fils, un autre Christopher, qui fut shérif du comté en 1840, lui succéda. mort en 1867, ses biens passèrent à son fils Christopher, député pour Buckinghamshire 1845, décédé en 1884. Son fils M. Christopher John Hume Tower est le propriétaire actuel de ce domaine.

"Ordonné, par les Lords and Commons, &c. Que Richard Cole Esquire soit shérif du comté de Som'sett et que les commissaires du grand sceau d'Angleterre lui délivrent une commission, pour être shérif dudit comté, en conséquence ."

Paroisses
Mabe - Maddern

Heligan appartenait autrefois aux Hills, et semble avoir été acquis par mariage avec l'héritière de Fantleroy, qui épousa l'héritière de Thomas Flamank. Vers le milieu du XVIIe siècle, Heligan, qui est aujourd'hui une ferme, était le siège de la famille des Silly. Il a été vendu par Mlle Julia Silly (maintenant épouse de William Lyddon, Esq.) à E. J. Glynn, Esq., le propriétaire actuel. Tredethy, autrefois le siège des familles de May et Lang, est maintenant la propriété et la résidence de Francis John Hext, Esq. Penwyn, un certain temps un siège des Porters, est maintenant la propriété et la résidence de M. William Cole, dont la famille l'a possédé pendant un temps considérable

De Wenn ou Dewen de Gwinnear, retracé trois générations avant 1620, épousa une cohéritière de Culland. Le représentant masculin actuel de cette famille est M. James Dewen, chirurgien et apothicaire à Marazion. MF Cole, fils de feu le capitaine F. Cole, de la Royal Navy, est le représentant de la branche aînée, par descendance féminine.

Armes de Dewen :Arg. sur un chevron - - - - trois trèfles - - - -.

Journal de la Chambre des communes Volume 4
1er décembre 1646

La Concurrence des Lords à désirer ici.

Résolu, &c. Que cette Chambre nomme et nomme Richard Cole Esquire shérif du comté de Somersett : Et que les commissaires pour le grand sceau d'Angleterre lui délivrent une commission pour être shérif dudit comté en conséquence.

Extrait de : 'House of Commons Journal Volume 4 : 1er décembre 1646', Journal of the House of Commons : volume 4 : 1644-1646 (1802), pp. 732-34. URL : http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=23835&strquery=Cole%20of%20Cornwall

Journal de la Chambre des communes Volume 9
10 novembre 1670

Ordonné, que Sir Richard Cole, Richard Lamerton et Thom. Coning, être envoyé pour la garde du sergent d'armes, ou son adjoint, pour leur violation de privilège, faire une entrée forcée sur la maison et la terre de M. Henry Seymoure, membre de cette maison, à Lanracke en Cornouailles et tournant ses serviteurs hors de possession

Extrait de : 'House of Commons Journal Volume 9 : 10 novembre 1670', Journal of the House of Commons : volume 9 : 1667-1687 (1802), pp. 161-62. URL : http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=27217&strquery=Cole%20of%20Cornwall

Bury, de Doniton à Swimbridge. Bury à Lapford était la résidence d'origine de l'ancienne famille de Bury, dont la branche aînée y est restée en 1630, mais il est probable qu'ils possédaient également Coleton à Chulmleigh, qui est venu par l'héritière de Cole sous le règne de Richard II. et est décrit comme leur siège dans la visite des Heralds de 1620. Doniton leur appartenait par la suite. L'héritière de Giffard, de Yeo, s'est mariée dans cette famille. Thomas Bury, Esq., le dernier héritier mâle, est mort en 1804, il a épousé une cohéritière de Molineux, mais n'a laissé aucun descendant. Sa veuve a légué les domaines de Bury et Coleton à Richard Incledon, Esq., maintenant Vice-Amiral of the White, qui a pris le nom de Bury, et réside à Doniton, mais n'est pas le représentant de la famille.

Armes : Euh. en bande, d'az., aux trois fleurs de lys, d'or.

Paroisses
Haccombe - Hittesleigh

HARFORD, ou HERFORD, dans la centaine d'Ermington et dans le doyenné de Plympton, se trouve à environ cinq milles de Brent et six de Modbury. Une partie d'Ivybridge se trouve dans cette paroisse.

Le manoir appartenait, de bonne heure, aux Peverell, seigneurs de la centaine d'Ermington sous le règne d'Edouard III, aux Harston plus tard à la famille de Cole. En 1622, il fut vendu par Christopher Cole à Sir Richard Buller et à d'autres, fiduciaires, probablement, de Williams of Stowford, dont la famille en devint possédée à cette époque. Aucun droit patrimonial n'a été exercé ces derniers temps sur ce domaine. Le manoir, ou manoir nominal, d'East Harford, alias Stowford, appartenait de bonne heure à Matthew de Ivybridge, dont la fille l'apporta à Dymock. De ce dernier, il passa à Bonville, et fut confisqué par l'acquéreur. Il devint par la suite, par achat de la couronne, comme le suppose sir William Pole, la propriété d'Adam Williams, dont le fils, Thomas Williams, Esq., était président de la Chambre des communes sous le règne de la reine Elizabeth. La mère de l'Orateur était une Prideaux et il est probable que le savant Dr John Prideaux, un certain temps évêque de Worcester (fn. 18), né à Stowford, en 1578, était un parent de cette famille, bien qu'il soit parlé de lui par Anthony Bois d'origine modeste. John Williams, petit-fils du Speaker, paraît avoir vendu Stowford, sous le règne de Charles Ier, aux Savery, qui y résidèrent quelque temps. De Savery il passa, il n'y a pas beaucoup d'années, par vente, à M. Dunsterville, de Plymouth et de lui à M. Rivers, qui tenait l'auberge à Ivybridge. C'est maintenant la propriété de M. Philip Bowen, qui a acheté des créanciers de M. Rivers. L'ancien manoir de la famille Williams a été démoli et la maison actuelle construite par M. Rivers.

HITTESLEIGH, dans la centaine de Wonford et dans le doyenné de Dunsford, se trouve à environ sept milles de Crediton, et à peu près à la même distance de Moreton Hamptsted.

Le manoir appartenait autrefois aux Talbot. Sous le règne d'Edouard Ier, c'était chez les Cole, qui tenaient sous les Talbot (fn. 67) et ensuite, successivement, dans les familles de Londres et Shilston. De ce dernier il passa par une héritière à Calmady. C'est maintenant la propriété de Mme Calmady, de Langdon Hall, à Wembury, l'héritière de la dernière famille mentionnée, à qui appartient également l'aveu du presbytère.

Cent Rouleau. Il y avait plusieurs seigneurs mesne entre Cole et la Couronne. Cole tenait Talbot, Talbot de Punchardon, Punchardon de Bolhay, Bolhay de Courtenay et Courtenay de la Couronne, comme parcelle de la baronnie d'Oakharapton.

Widecombe ou Withecombe Ralegh

WIDCOMBE, ou WITHECOMBE RALEGH (fn. 39) , dans la centaine d'East Budleigh et dans le doyenné d'Aylesbeare, jouxte la paroisse d'Exmouth, et comprend une partie de cette ville, appelée Withecombe Exmouth.

Le manoir de Withecombe Ralegh, anciennement appelé Withecombe Clavill, appartenait anciennement aux Clavill, qui le tenaient lors de l'enquête de Domesday, et ensuite, pour de nombreuses descentes, aux Ralegh. En 1756, il appartenait à la famille Bassett, dont il passa, par ventes successives, à Jackson et Cutler. C'est maintenant la propriété d'Edward Divett, Esq., dont le père l'a acheté en 1801. Westcote dit que ce manoir était tenu par le service de trouver au roi deux bonnes flèches plantées dans un gâteau d'avoine chaque fois qu'il devait chasser à Dartmoor. (note de bas de page 40)

Les Drake possédaient des biens considérables dans cette paroisse. Sir William Pole décrit Rill à Withecombe Ralegh comme ayant été dans une famille de ce nom, dont l'héritière épousa Duke et les cohéritières de Duke, Sokespitch et Cole. Une moitié de ce domaine continuait, à l'époque de Sir William Pole, dans la famille de Sokespitch : la part de Cole était passée, par héritières successives, à Drake et Raymond. Sir William Pole parle aussi d'un manoir de Withecombe, que les Raymond avaient hérité de Drake. Les Drake avaient, en 1628, le manoir, ou manoir nominal, de Hulham, dans cette paroisse, que la moitié Robert Drake, Esq., par son testament de cette date, a donné, avec le presbytère de Withecombe Ralegh, vers le maintien de prêcher des ministres dans les paroisses d'East Budleigh, Littleham et Withecombe Ralegh, et d'autres usages caritatifs. L'autre moitié appartenait alors à la famille de Warren : elle appartient désormais à la veuve de M. John Warren. Le manoir de Broadham and Rill, dans le manoir de Withecombe Ralegh, appartient à W. T. Hull, Esq., qui réside à Marpool dans cette paroisse. Courtland, dans cette paroisse, par un achat tardif, devint le siège de Sir Walter Roberts, Bart. Ce fut quelque temps la propriété et la résidence de Charles Baring, Esq. Whimsey est la propriété et la résidence d'Edward Payne, Esq.

ST. NEOT, dans le cent doyenné de West, se trouve à environ cinq milles à l'ouest-nord-ouest de Liskeard, qui est la ville postale à environ huit à l'est de Bodmin et à la même distance au nord-est de Lostwithiel. Il n'y a pas de village dans cette paroisse, sauf le bourg-église, qui est grand. La cour de l'archidiacre a été tenue à cet endroit, jusqu'à l'année 1753, quand elle a été déplacée à Lostwithiel, et de là, en 1773, à Bodmin, où elle est maintenant tenue.

Il y a des fêtes-foires à St. Neot, le lundi de Pâques et le 5 novembre. St. Neot se trouve sur l'ancienne route de Bodmin à Liskeard. Lors de l'enquête de Domesday, il y avait un collège à cet endroit, alors appelé Neotstow, dont le manoir aurait appartenu alors, et sous le règne d'Edouard le Confesseur, aux chanoines de Saint-Neot.

Nous ne trouvons aucun compte du manoir de St. Neot jusqu'au cours des trente dernières années, au cours desquelles il a eu trois propriétaires différents : il a été vendu, par feu Elias Lang, Esq., à feu Sir John Morshead, Bart., qui avait aussi le manoir de St. NeotBarrett, probablement une moitié divisée du manoir d'origine, qui avait acquis le nom de Barrett de ses propriétaires, ils appartiennent maintenant tous les deux à Lady Morshead, sa veuve.

Il est probable que le manoir Domesday de Fawintone, décrit comme détenu par le comte de Moreton dans le domaine, comprenait un grand district sur les rives de la Fowey, qui s'élève dans cette paroisse, et s'étendait jusqu'au bourg de Fowey à son embouchure. Plus tard, la famille Cardinham possédait certainement le manoir et l'arrondissement de Fowey et il semble qu'il y ait eu deux manoirs de Faweton, tous deux distincts l'un de l'autre, et probablement tous deux dans la paroisse de St. Neot, comme l'un des eux est encore connu pour être. Il y avait, sous le règne d'Henri III., un manoir de Faweton, qui appartenait à André de Suleny, à la mort duquel, sans descendance, il passa à son oncle Jessery et lui mourant sans descendance, il fut hérité par ses sœurs en moitiés : une moitié passée par mariage aux Treverbyns l'autre, par une succession de femmes-héritières, jusqu'au règne de Henry V., aux familles de Champernowne, Willington et Wroth (fn. 1) . Sir Reginald Mohun mourut saisi d'un manoir de Fawton en 1620 (fn. 2) . Nous n'avons pas pu retracer ce manoir plus bas, il y a trois petits immeubles du nom à St. Neot, dont deux ont été récemment vendus par E. J. Glynn, Esq. (fn. 3) l'autre appartient à Thomas Bewes, Esq.

Le manoir de Faweton, alias Trenay, appartenait à la famille Daubeny du règne d'Edouard Ier (sinon plus tôt) à celui d'Henri VIII., lorsque Sir Giles Daubeny le vendit à John Tubb, dont le fils George il fut acheté par William Bere, Esq. (fn. 4) Les cohéritières de Bere ont épousé Sir John Grylls, de Court à Lanreath, et Bellott de Bochym. Le révérend Richard Gerveys Grylls possède une moitié de ce manoir par héritage, et a acheté l'autre moitié, qui avait été quelque temps en plusieurs : les moitiés ont été divisées par acte en l'an 1722. Le manoir de Polruan à Lantegloss, maintenant le propriété de William Rashleigh, Esq. M. P., était autrefois détenu dans ce manoir. Le bailli des cents d'Ouest (fn. 5) est annexé au manoir de Faweton, alias Trenay. The barton of Trenay was sold by the Tubbs to Connock we understand there are three Trenays Great and Little Trenay, united in one tenement, the property of Francis Gregor, Esq. and Higher Trenay belonging to Thomas Bewes, Esq.

The manor of West-Draynes, formerly belonging to the Carews (fn. 6) , and, at a later period to the Tillies, is now the property of J. Tillie Coryton, Esq. The manor of Pengelly belonged to Sir William Molins, who was slain at the siege of Orleans in 1428, and was inherited by the family of Hastings. In the reign of James I. it was in the Moyles: the present possessor is Francis Gregor, Esq., of Trewarthenick, who purchased it of the late Sir Lionel Copley, Bart. (fn. 7) This manor was held, in the reign of James I., by the service of providing a grey cloak for the Duke, whenever he should come into Cornwall, and delivering it at Poulstonbridge to the lord of the manor of Cabilia, whose office it was to attend the Duke with it during his stay in Cornwall (fn. 8) . A more ancient record, as printed in Blount's Tenures, assigns the service of providing the cloak to the lord of Cabilia, and that of carrying it to the lord of Pengelly. The manor of Trevegoe was in moieties, in the reign of James I. one moiety, which had been purchased by Hodge, belonged then to Matthew Veale the other, which had been in the Hungerfords, had been forfeited by attainder, and granted to Arundell, was then, by purchase from Layton, in the family of Bagott (fn. 9) : this manor now belongs to Lady Morshead. The manor of Treverbyn, which belonged to the Courtenays of Trethurfe, appears to have been dismembered: the Earl of Cork, who represents one of the coheiresses of Courtenay, possesses a small tenement of that name. The manor of Cabilla, Cabilia, or Carburrow, the property of the Honourable Mrs. Agar, (the barton of which is in Cardinham,) extends over a considerable part of this parish.

Trevenna, some time a seat of the Mohuns, is now the property of Joseph Grigg. Mennabroom, formerly a seat of the Coles, is now a farm-house, the property of John Buller, Esq. Hole is the property and residence of Mr. John Rundle.

In the parish-church are considerable remains of painted glass, containing the legends of St. Neot and other saints, as hath been already described. It is said by some of the Monkish historians, that this church was originally dedicated to St. Guevor or Guerrier, and subsequently to St. Neot, who, for many years, had led a hermit's life, and died and was buried at this place. The great tithes of this parish were formerly appropriated to the priory of Montacute (fn. 10) , in the county of Somerset: they are now, with some exceptions, the property of the Rev. R. G. Grylls, who is patron and the present incumbent of the vicarage. The tithesheaf of the manor of St. Neot-Barrett is appropriated to the repairs of the church. Two-thirds of the great and small tithes of two of the Fawtons, and some other farms, (which tithes now belong to the Duke of Bedford, and Thomas Bewes, Esq. (fn. 11) ,) were appropriated in former times to the repair of Launceston castle. There are the remains of a chapel dedicated to St. Luke, in this parish, on the borders of Alternon, a mile north-east of Dosmery pool: the ancient font remains. The estate on which this chapel stood, called Pinnock's and Luke's hills, and containing about 300 acres, has been unclaimed for many years: in 1613 it was in the Trefusis family.

John Anstis, Esq., Garter King of Arms, author of "The Black Book of the Order of the Garter," and an industrious collector of records relating to Cornwall and other counties, was born at St. Neot, in the year 1699.

Personal Ancestral File 5.2 (build 5.2.18.0) is a Windows based version of one of the most widely used genealogical management programs for home computers. The software program can be downloaded free from the Internet. PAF 5.2 does not provide genealogical data. Instead, it helps users organize their family history records. It can produce, either on screen or on paper, family histories, pedigree charts, family group records, and other reports to help users in their search for missing ancestors.

This version includes changes to the individual record to accommodate the wide variety of naming conventions used throughout the world. This version will convert PAF 3.0 and 4.0 data files to its improved file format. PAF 5.2 is also available on compact disc and includes Personal Ancestral File Companion which allows users to produce additional reports and charts.


Bury My Heart Apart from Me: The History of Heart Burial

Just as you might give a heart-shaped card to a loved one to show your affection, European royalty once bequeathed their actual hearts cut from their corpses to places they cared for. Heart burial had its high point of fashion in the 12th and 13th centuries, although it continues as a romantic funereal tradition to present day. 

This trend of heart burial coincided with Middle Ages military campaigns like the Crusades, where people were journeying far from home, and often dying there. Rather than send the whole body back, sometimes just the deceased’s heart was transported, preserved in lead or ivory boxes, often with spices to keep it from smelling too much. Also, you tend to get more prayers and venerations when you’re split up, as the religious would well know from the relics of saints. Occasionally these hearts were even buried in miniature effigies showing tiny knights in full armor. And according to Clare Gittings and Peter C. Jupp’s Death in England: An Illustrated History, “it is possible that some small monuments traditionally claimed to be the tombs of children are in fact heart monuments.”  

“The dispersed burial of monarchs and other dignitaries was common. After Henry I’s death in Normandy in 1135 from eating poisonous eels, his heart was sewn into the hide of a bull for preservation and transported back to England to be buried, while the rest of him was interred where it was. The heart of England’s Richard I — whose nickname, Couer de Lion (Lionheart), is rumored to have come from his ripping out and consuming the heart of a lion to acquire its courage — had his legendary cardiac muscle buried separately from his other remains.”  

The tomb of Richard the Lionheart’s heart (photograph by Walwyn/Flickr user)

The brave heart of Richard — a king who may or may not have eaten a lion heart in front of his court, per the 13th century outlandish legend — was buried in Rouen, France. The heart rested there from 1199 until it was exhumed in� and analyzed by scientists. While they weren’t able to find out much about his death, they did find out a lot about heart embalming, including the use of frankincense for a biblical tone along with spices, vegetables, myrtle, daisy, mint, and even some mercury.

This was a more elaborate treatment than most hearts were likely to get. As Eric Edwards of the Pitt Rivers Museum wrote in an article on their own preserved heart, charmingly kept in a crude heart-shaped lead container that was found in Christ Church in Cork in 1863, “it is thought that hearts were removed by those deemed apt for such a chore and these included butchers and cooks.” 

Illustration of a what appears to be the heart niche at Leybourne Church (via Wikimedia)

Elaborate, full-size effigies like Richard’s were not uncommon for the highest of royalty — queen consort Eleanor of Castile’s heart interred at Blackfriars in London was memorialized by a huge monument topped by a metal angel that was destroyed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century — but sometimes the memorials were more intimate.  

Sir Roger of Leybourne who died in 1271 during the Crusades, has his heart in a tiny casket alongside one for his wife in a niche in Leybourne Church in Kent. Reportedly, Victorians opened the caskets during a restoration, and found his heart enclosed in lead. However, the second for his wife was found to be empty, likely because she remarried after his death.  

To list the tiny heart burials of the Middle Ages elite would be a monumental task in itself, and to see the most striking of heart burials you have to jump ahead to the 16th century to Bar-le-Duc in France. There is one of the most haunting of heart burials, where a statue of a rotting corpse stretches its left arm up to the heavens with its heart in its hands.

This is a memorial to René de Chalon, Prince of Orange, who was killed at the age of 25 in 1544. The monument by Ligier Richier was completed in 1547, and originally the skeleton held Chalon’s very organ in a heart-shaped red box. Unfortunately, the reliquary was stolen during the French Revolution, and although the mortal terror-inducing statue remains, it just holds a heart facsimile.  

As a side note, the French Revolution really was an unfortunate time for royal hearts. Louis XIV’s mummified heart was also swiped. Reportedly part of it was accidentally eaten by geologist William Buckland in 1848 when he was examining a silver locket with a strange object in it (he’d apparently put it in his mouth to figure out what it was, perhaps the way he examined rocks). Meanwhile, the heart of the dauphin Louis XVII was kept by a surgeon dissecting the young prince after his death during revolutionary imprisonment, and in 1975 it finally was relocated to the Saint-Denis Basilica in Paris where it is presented in a clear vase. 

Heart of the dauphin (photograph by the author)

Grave of Thomas Hardy’s heart (photograph by Michael Day)

While heart burial became something of an oddity by the 14th century — with just outlandish monuments like the one for the Prince of Orange sporadically created — it still made appearances. The idea of being able to be buried in multiple places at once, and the significance of the heart as a source of emotion, was part of its endurance. For example, writer Thomas Hardy’s heart is buried in St. Michael’s churchyard in Dorset, while his ashes are in Westminster Abbey, so that he is both venerated as a British literary icon and rests alongside his family. However, story has long had it that the surgeon who sliced out Hardy’s heart in 1928 stored it in a cookie tin, where his cat discovered it and had it for a meal. Rumor is that an animal heart had to be buried beneath Hardy’s monument instead, although this remains something of legend instead of fact. 

And of course, we can’t leave out Percy Bysshe Shelley. After he drowned in 1822, his friends had a makeshift funeral pyre for his body, where Edward Trelawny pulled out a macabre memento from the poet. As Bess Lovejoy wrote in in an article for Atlas Obscura: “Trelawny reported that he reached in and snatched out Shelley’s heart. (Or what he thought was the heart—some say it was more likely the poet’s liver). After a brief custody battle the heart went to Mary Shelley, who kept it in a silk bag in her desk until she died.”  

Burial place of Pierre de Coubertin’s heart in Greece (photograph by David Holt)

Heart burial still occurs, sometimes like the Middle Ages royalty to express fondness for a place. Pierre de Coubertin, who died in 1937 and was the founder of the International Olympic Committee and integral in reviving the contemporary Olympic Games, has his heart interred in Olympia, Greece. Just in 2011, the heart of Archduke of Austria and Royal Prince of Hungary Otto von Habsburg was buried in a silver urn in Hungary’s Benedictine Abbey, while his body remained in Vienna, a way to posthumously embrace both sides of his heritage. 

There is something hopeful about heart burial, where you feel that some part of you might remain with this organ, even while it has long stopped beating. And even if the bloody heart, a delicate but strong engine for your whole being that’s only a bit bigger than your fist, is just another part of your temporary being that will all someday be gone, there is something oddly romantic about giving such an important piece of you to a beloved place. 

The pyramid holding sculptor Antonio Canova’s heart in Venice’s Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (photograph by Anna Fox)

The mourner holding the urn with Canova’s heart (photograph by rjhuttondfw/Flickr user)

The burial place of a heart thought to belong to Robert the Bruce (photograph by Andrew Bowden)


Monument to the heart of François I in the Basilique Saint-Denis in Paris (via Wikimedia)


Thomas Talbot Bury

Thomas Talbot Bury (26 November 1809 - 23 February 1877) was a British architect and lithographer. Bury was articled to Augustus Charles Pugin in 1824 and started his own practice in Soho in 1830. At various times he collaborated with other notable architects including Charles Lee (partners between 1845 and 1849), Lewis Vulliamy and A. W. N. Pugin, with whom he detailed the Houses of Parliament under Sir Charles Barry.

Bury's works included thirty-five churches and chapels, fifteen parsonages, twelve schools and twenty other large public buildings and private homes. His ecclesiastical works included St Mary the Virgin's Church, Woodlands (near West Kingsdown), Kent (1850) the chapels at Tonbridge cemetery (1856) St James's Church, Dover (1859) and St John the Evangelist's Church in Burgess Hill, West Sussex (1861–63). He also carried out a restoration of St Peter and St Paul's Church at Temple Ewell near Dover.

Bury was also known for his engravings and lithography, notably of the works of Augustus Welby Pugin and Owen Jones. He exhibited at the Royal Academy between 1846 and 1872, and was noted for the sketches he produced for Ackerman's series of lithographs and aquatints of the "Coloured Views of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway", in 1831, republished in 1976.

Bury was made a Fellow of the RIBA in 1843 and was elected vice-president in 1876. He was also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, a council member of the Royal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland and an associate of the Society of Civil Engineers. Bury died at his home in Cavendish Square, London and is buried at West Norwood Cemetery.

Les références:

Tregellas, W. H. (2004). "Bury, Thomas Talbot", in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Presses de l'Université d'Oxford.


Du Guide des Grâces

of the Adelphi Silk Dyeworks, Salford

1833 :'Accidents. — An aged man named Thomas Weaville, private watchman to Messrs. Thomas Bury and Sons, of Salford, was about one o'clock on Saturday morning, dreadfully scalded under the following circumstances: —He had been ordered to superintend some silks which were being boiled in bags. The bags appearing above the surface of the water he attempted to put them down, when the pressure caused a quantity of boiling water to spirt forth, and injured him so severely that he expired on Saturday morning. An inquest was held on the body before Mr. Rutter, and a verdict of "accidental death" returned.' Ώ]

1839 Report on instances of hurricane damage: 'Early in the morning, the large octagonal chimney on the premises of Mr. Thos. Bury, Adelphi, was observed to vibrate by some workmen in the employ of Messrs. Gisborne and Wilson, and about six o'clock it fell with a loud crash. Five persons were upon the premises at the time, three of them in one of the rooms adjoining the engine-house, when the roof of the building was smashed by the coping-stones of the chimney. In a few seconds, about one half the chimney, which was originally 53 yards high, fell forward with tremendous crash, carrying down the roof and flooring of the finishing-room to the ground story, used as a boiler room, in which are two steam boilers, employed in working the steam engine. When the men saw the mass falling upon the building, they ran to the windows, and let themselves down to the ground. One man, less cautious, sprang from the window, and was a little bruised in the fall, as well as spraining both feet. Two of the hands, one of them a young man, named Gaskell, were in the boiler-house at the time the chimney fell. Two of the coping-stones fell within few inches of the place where Gaskell was standing and it is rather remarkable, that he escaped without any personal injury, his hat having been knocked off by some of the falling rubbish. Some idea may be entertained of the tremendous force of the crash, when we state that one of the large thick beams (18 inches square), of which several are placed across the building, was snapped in two in an instant. The engine was wholly uninjured, and the engine-house, a very substantial fire-proof building, received very little damage . ΐ]

1847 'An Artesian Well in Salford.—We learn that a well on this principle is now being bored by the Messrs. Mather, of Salford, for Mr. Thomas Bury, of the Adelphi, on the top of the hill at the end of Melbourne Terrace. The well is covered over by a wooden shed, under which also a small engine and the boring apparatus, which is constructed so to perform a kind of double eccentric movement. When they bore a certain depth cylinder is let down to the bottom, and the sand and other substances drawn up, when the process of boring is resumed. And this has been going on till the depth of 160 yards have been bored, without for once public attention being drawn to the subject. It is stated that less than £4 per yard would cover the cost of this immense undertaking and it is understood that the depth of 300 yards is intended to be reached. With the present depth (160 yards) the water in the well has risen to within fourteen yards of the surface, and it is expected that by the time they reach 300 yards it will rise to the top. This experiment will cost something over £1,200, and if it be correct that the main or artesian well-spring lies about 400 or 450 yards below the surface, if £5 per yard were allowed for greater depth than 300, the cost would not exceed £2,000 for the whole depth of 450 yards - Guardian.' Α]

1857 Sale notice: Alfred Leigh instructed by the assignees of Thomas Bury, to sell by auction, the whole of the machinery, utensils, &c. for Silk. Cotton, and Worsted Dyeing, &c., on the premises known asthe Adelphi Silk Dyeworks. Β]

1858 Sale notice: 'Preliminary Notice. — Highly Important to Silk, Cotton, and Worsted Dyers, &c. ALFRED LEIGH begs to intimate that he will SELL BY AUCTION, about the middle of the ensuing month of January, 1858, the premises known as Adelphi Silk Dyeworks, situate in Adelphi-street, Salford, by order of the assignees of Mr. Thomas Bury, and without reserve, the Valuable MACHINERY, &c., comprising six hydro-extractors, with baskets, 2ft. 6in., 3ft. 4in., and 3ft. 6in. diameter, Seyrig's patent hydraulic press, with 8in. ram, pair of double pumps, and two cast-iron carriages, lined with copper, on cast-iron railway very powerful stretching machine, with four arms and gearing complete five large-sized copper pans, with grate bars and fixings several large-sized cast-iron cisterns round and square cast and wrought iron pans lead pan, 4ft. 4 pouces by 2ft. lOin. 4ft. deep, copper bottom block-tin pan, 3ft. by 2ft. by 2ft. 8in deep, with copper bottom ten capital stone cisterns, &c. —Further particulars, with date of sale, will be given in future advertisements and meanwhile, for further information, application may be made to Francis Hernaman, Esq., official assignee, 69, Princess-street Messrs Chew and Son, solicitors, Swan-street or to the Auctioneer, at his offices, 47, Princess-street, Manchester. Γ]


16th - 19th century

In 1788, the manors of Lilley, Putteridge and Horwellbury were sold to John Sowerby Esquire a wealthy merchant of Hatton Garden. The silver lion from his crest can still be seen on many Lilley cottages.

In 1808 a serious fire destroyed the entire mansion and most of the furnishings, but in 1812 the mansion of Putteridge was rebuilt, in Regency style, half a mile north of Thomas Docwra’s old manor house (on present site).

The clock Tower made in 1841 by Gatwards of Hitchin, stands on the old stables and indicates that the previous house was built further south than the present house. The Sowerbys were renowned naturalists and horticulturalists and it was early that century that the grounds were laid out in their present form.

In 1868 the estates passed to George Sowerby. He is pictured above with his wife Emily.

A tragic event happened in 1888 when he was killed by an Egyptian stag in Putteridge Park (a copy of the report of the inquest in the Luton Times and Bedfordshire Advertiser, 10 August 1888 – can be seen at Putteridge Bury).


“We Will Bury You”

About the capitalist states, it doesn't depend on you whether or not we exist. If you don't like us, don't accept our invitations, and don't invite us to come to see you. Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you!

As a consequence of his speech, the representatives of twelve NATO nations and Israel walked out of the room.

At the time, many Americans saw the statement as a nuclear threat, but it&rsquos unlikely that this was the intent. In 1963 in Yugoslavia, Mister Khrushchev referred to his 1956 statement, saying,

I once said, &ldquoWe will bury you,&rdquo and I got into a lot of trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.

How&rsquos that workin&rsquo for ya?

It&rsquos a truism that governments tend to be both arrogant and presumptuous. They come up with changes that will benefit them, then concoct flimsy excuses as to why the changes are good for all concerned. The public swallow the pill, so the government assumes that the public believed the flimsy excuse. Over time, the government becomes convinced that their powers of persuasion are greater than they are, since they continue to get away with changes that do not benefit all.

Eventually, though, the public are stripped of their freedoms to such a degree that they lose patience with the flimsy excuses. It turns out that a significant percentage of them never fully believed them, but swallowed each pill in order to get along. In addition, the public&rsquos standard of living and quality of life are eventually also stripped away to a great enough degree that they lose patience.

Each of these is an important factor in an underlying disaffection that grows until it becomes a major force that may well be unstoppable if it blows. Amongst the people, it tends to be felt rather than seen and, of course, is felt less by those who created it, due to their ever-increasing arrogance and presumptuousness.

This is the stuff that makes revolutions. Whether they be armed conflicts or simply a refusal to vote for the status quo, as has been observed recently in the UK (Brexit), the US (the presidential election), and Italy (the referendum), governments tend to scratch their heads in disbelief when an outcome that they thought was assured proves incorrect.

Historically, when this happens, most leaders fail to see the warning signs for what they are. They instead double down their efforts to push through their programme of freedom and wealth removal, under the assumption that the warning signs were an anomaly&mdasha one-off glitch that won&rsquot be repeated.

Recommended Links

&ldquoAmerica is Ground Zero&rdquo&hellip (During Trump&rsquos first term?)
A multimillionaire and legendary investor&rsquos urgent broadcast is now live… It reveals why a financial shock far greater than 2008 could strike America during Trump's first term. And how it could either wipe out a big part of your savings… or be the fortune-building opportunity of a lifetime. This special presentation won't be online for long. Click here to watch it now.

When the wheels start to come off

This is the point at which divergence between a government and its people becomes manifest. In the early stages, the symptoms that the public demonstrate are not dramatic. Although there may be violent outbursts by small groups (either spontaneous or organized), the real danger is demonstrated less obviously. The average person&mdashthe housewife, the gas station attendant, the hairstylist&mdashbegins to perform small acts of civil disobedience. Whilst they may continue to pay lip service to &ldquoGod and country&rdquo and &ldquothe powers that be,&rdquo they increasingly disobey laws in small ways, which increases a contempt for the government that may eventually turn to hatred.

We&rsquore witnessing this development in its formative stages in both the EU and the US. Each government is charging ahead at full steam with its manipulative programmes, even as the people themselves have begun to dig in their heels and are voting for a reversal of events. Typically, in such instances, governments regard their people as gnats to be swatted&mdashagain going under the assumption that they are merely observing an anomaly. The people then dig in harder. In the next stage, the government redoubles its controls over those who protest, and the divide increases.

The question then becomes dependent upon whether major events occur. If the government backs off a bit, the majority of people tend to do the same, but if there are major events in play, such as warfare, economic instability, food shortages, etc., they may well be the spark point that sets off the already warm powder.

Today we can observe the EU and US governments trying to force situations regarding loss of freedoms, diminished income, unwanted immigration, and warfare upon peoples whose objections have been growing louder. It would be at this point that Mister Khrushchev&rsquos prediction that &ldquoYour own working class will bury you&rdquo may begin to come to pass. If so, we can anticipate that, once the EU and US have provided the shovel, Russia and China will assist in the burial.

Most of us have not personally lived through a revolution (violent or otherwise). We tend to imagine revolution as an entire nation of people leaving their homes and workplaces and taking up arms against their government. We understandably say to ourselves, &ldquoThat couldn&rsquot possibly happen here,&rdquo and we are correct. However, historically, that&rsquos not the way revolutions manifest themselves. In actual fact, those who are active in any revolution tend to be small in number, often less than 5% of the population. Predictably, they tend to be young, with little to lose.

So, how has revolution been successful in so many cases where the government was better armed, better organized, and had control of the supply chain?

The key lies, again, in Mister Khrushchev&rsquos statement.

In 1917, the Russians that joined the riots in Petrograd were only a tiny minority of the Russian population. Their success would not have been possible had they not had the advantage of public support, including many in the military. The average Russian believed that the rioters were right and quietly provided assistance as needed.

In 1958, a ragtag group of Cuban guerillas marched from the Sierra Maestra to Havana. On their way, they met government resistance, but, due to the support they received from the average Cuban (and some in the military), they overcame any opposition as they proceeded to the capital. By the time they reached Santa Clara, President Batista realized that the jig was up and hightailed it out of Cuba. The small group of rebels came into Havana unopposed, to the cheers of the populace.

&rsquoTwas ever thus

Of course, other revolutions took far longer to resolve, such as the American Revolution. But again, in each case, the success of the revolution would have been highly unlikely were it not for the quiet support from the average person whose only motivation was being fed up with the repeated removals of freedom and wealth. (In other words, the minuteman could achieve little on his own, but he gained power through the backup support provided by his neighbours.)

We cannot say what the fate will be for the EU and US&mdashwhether their respective governments will find the means to ride out the building storm of disaffection by their peoples, or whether they will ultimately crumble. But, if it&rsquos the latter, it is likely that they will do so as a result of disaffection from within, rather than attack from without.

Editor&rsquos Note: New York Times best-selling author Doug Casey thinks a financial shock far greater than 2008 could strike America during Trump's first 100 days in office.

It could either wipe out a big part of your savings… or be the fortune-building opportunity of a lifetime.

This is exactly why Doug and his team put together a time-sensitive video explaining how it could all go down. Click here to watch it now.


Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Bury, Thomas Talbot

BURY, THOMAS TALBOT (1811–1877), architect, was descended from a Worcestershire family, afterwards settled in the city of London. He was born on 26 Sept. 1811, and was articled in 1824 to Augustus Pugin. Among his fellow-pupils were Messrs. Ferrey, Dollman, Shaw, Lake Price, Nash, Walker, and Charles Mathews the actor. He commenced practice in Gerrard Street, Soho, in 1830 and, in addition to his architectural practice, was often engaged in engraving and lithographing his own and other architects' drawings, notably those of Pugin and Owen Jones. He was particularly skilful in colouring architectural studies, and his aid in this respect was often sought by the most eminent architects of the day when they were engaged in preparing designs for competition. In 1847 he published his 'Remains of Ecclesiastical Woodwork,' illustrated by himself and in 1849, his 'History and Description of the Styles of Architecture of various Countries, from the Earliest to the Present Period.' He was engaged with Pugin in designing the details of the houses of parliament under Sir Charles Barry. He frequently exhibited his works at the Royal Academy between 1846 and 1872 and sent to the International Exhibition of 1862 a large picture representing, at one view, all the churches, schools, public and other buildings erected by him. This fine drawing is now preserved as a record at the Institute of British Architects. Among his principal works were 35 churches and chapels, 15 parsonages, 12 schools, and 20 other large public buildings and private residences in various parts of England and Wales. He was elected an associate of the Institute of British Architects in 1839, and a fellow in 1843. In 1876 he was elected a vice-president. He was in 1863 made a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and was also a member of the council of the Royal Archæological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, a member of the Cambrian Archæological Association, and an associate of the Society of Civil Engineers. His collections of architectural and antiquarian books, his pictures, drawings, cabinets, and armour, were sold at Christie's in the autumn of 1877. On 23 Feb. 1877 he died, a widower and childless, and was buried at Norwood Cemetery.

[Redgrave's Dictionary of Artists of the English School Journal of the Archæological Institute Archæologia Cambrensis Transactions of the Institute of British Architects Builder, 1877.]


Bond, Thomas (1) 1597-1659***

J amestown was founded by Captain John Smith and a small group of English colonists. It might be well to note that the first Negroes were brought to Jamestown and the new America in 1619.


T
homas Bond lived at Bury St. Edmunds. He had a will that was dated November 8, 1658 and was proved the 10 th of March, 1659 at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in London. Thomas Bond was to marry Elizabeth Woods in England in about 1620 as the first Pilgrims were to arrive in America.


T
he children of Thomas and Elizabeth Woods Bond were: Thomas (baptized September 22, 1622), John (baptized February 5, 1624), William (baptized September 3, 1625), Henry (baptized April 5, 1628), Elizabeth (baptized March 12, 1630), Francis (baptized May 31, 1632), May (baptized January 31, 1636), and Jonas (baptized August 5, 1638).

It is important to include other events of this time which led to a new home for this line of the Bond family.

The Spaniards had arrived in America and reports of their finding riches, including gold and silver, had spread across the seas to the whole world. The Pilgrims were to leave Southampton, England in 1620 by way of Plymouth, England to arrive in the New World late December of this same year. This was the beginning of “New England”.

Without going into all of the details already covered in history books, religious beliefs were reasons for the “Puritans”, Protestants who wanted to worship in their belief rather than that of the Catholic Church, to “escape” their homeland in search of a new land in which to worship as they preferred.

Two groups of English people were the first to establish “New England”. The “Cavaliers” were to land and make their home in Virginia. The “Puritans”, our ancestors, were to arrive in the Massachusetts area.


T
hree children of Thomas and Elizabeth Woods Bond were to arrive in America with Winthrop’s Fleet in 1629 or 1630. A son Thomas would have been about seven years old, a son John was five, and William may have been about four years old. All three children were baptized in St. James Church in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk County, England.

One writing tells us that William, and perhaps the other two children, was brought to America by his aunt Eliza, wife of Ephraim Child.


W e know that Thomas and Elizabeth were to have five more children, after John, Thomas, and William, all born in America.

Because of conditions in England at this time, it is believed that Thomas and Elizabeth may have arrived in New England before the arrival of their three children who were left in the charge of their aunt until the appropriate time for them to join their parents in America. This information is sure to be found after a search into Winthrop’s Fleet passenger lists.


Voir la vidéo: The Mathematics of Tipping Points. Thomas Bury. TEDxUofTSalon (Juin 2022).


Commentaires:

  1. Estcott

    Dites s'il vous plaît - où puis-je lire à ce sujet ?

  2. Dosar

    Désolé, mais ce n'est pas exactement ce dont j'ai besoin. Il y a d'autres options ?

  3. Hweolere

    Tout n'est pas simple

  4. Kajilkis

    Ouais, maintenant c'est clair ...Sinon, je n'ai pas vraiment compris tout de suite où la connexion avec le titre lui-même est ...

  5. Fulaton

    Je suis désolé de ne pas pouvoir participer à la discussion maintenant. Très peu d'informations. Mais je serai heureux de suivre ce sujet.



Écrire un message